2005 Freightliner Columbia DD Series 60 - Runs but wont shut off!!!

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by e46s54dr, Nov 5, 2011.

1. e46s54dr

e46s54dr Bobtail Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Fontana, CA.
    Hi everyone, My name is David and Im currently having a weird issue with my truck. I tried the search function but came up with no answers. I have a 2005 Freightliner Columbia with a Detroit Diesel Series 60 engine that will start without hesitation but will not turn off when I turn the ignition switch off. Ive tried replacing the ignition switch but the problem persist.

Other possibly related observations - When I turn the key to the on position, the gauge needles no longer do the sweeping motion and the "check engine" and "engine protect" light does not light up. There is also an Exclamation Mark inside of a Triangle symbol that flashes.

Any help is deeply appreciated. I look forward to learning more about my truck and possible even be able to help others in the future.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sparkz

Sparkz Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2011
    New Zealand
    I would guess that the ignition supply wires to the ECM and dash are not going off when you turn the key off.
    Are the temperature gauges and voltmeter dropping to zero when you turn the key off?
    If you have a turbo timer I would start by disconnecting it.
    If you don't have a turbo timer it is probably a sticking relay. Have a look on the relay board for a relay named something like Engine ECM, or Ignition Control etc. Unplug it and see if the engine cuts out.

4. e46s54dr

e46s54dr Bobtail Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Fontana, CA.
    When I switch the key off the gauge cluster also turns off and returns to zero as it should. I do not have a turbo timer installed on my truck at the moment but I plan on one in the future. I dont have a relay for the ecm, only a 10 watt fuse which Ive been pulling periodically to shut down the engine when necessary.

Does anyone have the wiring schematics or diagram for the whole ignition system by any chance?

P.s. Thanks for the help:biggrin_25514:

5. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    right side of fuse box has 4 studs.1 ground the others 12 volt.top 1 probably is missing power.first thing to check is all of small fuse holders in battery box (maybe 4 of them?)if good,check for breaks in wiring by following these wires.check if truck equipped with "low voltage disconnect"module.possibly defective.you could always "force feed"post in fuse box with a seperate fused power supply.good luck.

6. e46s54dr

e46s54dr Bobtail Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Fontana, CA.
    Sorry for the misinformation but the gauge cluster actually remains on even when the key is off. I've check the 4 studs and from what I remember, one is a ground, one is a constant power source and the other are switched ignition and acc. I've also check the 4 fuses in the battery box in which one 30 amp fuse was corroded and replace to no avail. I'm going to try the voltage back up battery and recheck all the battery wires/voltage.

I have a feeling that whatever the problem may be correlates with the gauge cluster inoperability problem also.

7. Sparkz

Sparkz Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2011
    New Zealand
    What is this fuse labelled as, eg gauges, wipers etc?
    When you pull the fuse does the dash also turn off, or does just the engine stop?
    What voltage is at each end of the fuse holder once the engine has stopped?

8. e46s54dr

e46s54dr Bobtail Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Fontana, CA.
    It wasn't a fuse in the fuse box but a fuse located on top of the four batteries. unfortunately it was not labeled but I did take my multi meter and varified that there is over 12 volts on both sides of the 4 fuses. Im going to check the back up battery located behind the passenger seat like I was advised. Ill definitely keep everyone updated on my what I find. Sorry if ive been kind of confusing.

9. Sparkz

Sparkz Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2011
    New Zealand
    Sorry, the fuse I am referring to is the one that you have to pull out to stop the engine.
    I can't see how the fuses in the battery box would cause your engine to keep running when you turn the key off. Dodgy battery box fuses are more likely to cause issues where your engine wont run at all.

10. e46s54dr

e46s54dr Bobtail Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Fontana, CA.
    The fuse that I've been pulling to cut the engine is a 10 watt engine ecm fuse. I only checked the battery box fuse because I was all out of ideas.

11. Sparkz

Sparkz Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2011
    New Zealand
    When you pull the fuse does the dash also turn off, or does just the engine stop?
    What voltage is at each end of the fuse holder once the engine has stopped?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.