2006 Freightliner Columbia Detroit 60 Series White Smoke/Oil Leak

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Storm10, May 22, 2022.

1. Storm10

Storm10 Bobtail Member

May 22, 2022
    Good morning, To make a long story short I just bought a truck. 06 Freightliner Columbia with a 60 series in it. 627k miles on. Overall the trucks in decent shape.

After a week of driving it I started to notice a few oil leaks/seepage I know these 60 series are known for some of the issues. But I have a couple issues that came about that I have no idea if its all one problem. Or if it is, or can be multiple problems.

I started getting a slight smell of coolant here and there. I had to add a gallon of coolant over the week. But im not seeing where its leaking from.

Along with that (ill post a picture of this) I have a oil leak to what i think is the lower turbo oil return housing? I had planned to take it in, in 3 days. But im now taking it in tomorrow because im getting a medium white smoke out of the exhaust when im idling, also the truck is having puttering and also pushing less white smoke when starting in lower gears. Then I have no issue at all when its in higher gears.

Ive checked the oil it seems normal to me. Its definitely not milky/muddy. My blowby tube also might be dripping a little bit of oil. But i cant 100% tell because i think i have a oil leak at the back of the engine and i think its maybe dripping off from there.

So yeah thats kinda where im at..any ideas?

So I guess my general question would the part thats leaking thats shown in the picture. Would that for whatever reason have me pushing white smoke at all? Or is that a completely different issue all together.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Keep track on the amount of coolant used. It shouldn’t ever need to be added. It’s going somewhere. On the ground, in the oil, or out the exhaust. Hopefully it’s the egr cooler leaking. Not a head gasket, or a pinhole in a cylinder. The white smoke suggests one or the other. Not always though. egr coolers not too costly. Labor getting to it adds a bit.

4. Storm10

Storm10 Bobtail Member

May 22, 2022
    yeah I really hope not. Thanks for the reply. I have been reading maybe it could be a bad injector? I know its hard to say without pulling everything apart/testing etc. Crossing my fingers for best thing possible.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
    alltrueman85 Thanks this.
  5. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    2006? Not sure it has an EGR? Got a Freightliner Columbia with a MB engine doing the same, it was parked, previous manager claimed turbo, but now some believe it may just be an injector.
    Supposedly a skilled person with a laptop can pinpoint the issue.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.