2006 Freightliner with Detroit 60 Fan wont cut off HELP please

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by JRBES, Jan 7, 2021.

1. JRBES

JRBES Bobtail Member

Jun 22, 2015
    Sorry to bother people on this forum. Having a hard time getting this truck engine cooling fan to cut off.

This is what I have done.
    Scanned truck, only code was the vaines code for the turbo actuator. Changed that
    1. Checked fuses
    2. Changed AC Dryer with low and high pressure sensors
    3. Changed fan switch! how ever fan switch has two positives to it at all times. I cant figure out where or how does it ground. assumption ECM not sending ground signal. If I disconnect and apply pos and negative to fan switch then it cuts off.
    4. Fan over ride inside cab is broken does not turn on or off. Do not know if that has anything to do with it.
    5. I also changed the coolant level sensor. On the computer shows its full at all times.

I dont know if I missed anything else. But this is all I have done. Dont know if you guys have any Freightliner tricks. I work mostly on KWs when this happens I just change the wiring harness and it resolves the issue! I dont work on Freightliners or detroits sorry hope one of you guys can point me to the right direction

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mike250rs

Mike250rs Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    3 & 4 sound funky and possibly related.

Unplug your override switch and retest the fan hub switch ( with air conditioning turned off ).

It sounds like you have something grounding out.

4. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    I'm taking for granted that your series 60 is a DDEC V. On the ecm, the vehicle harness is the plug on the right. Pin #V4 is the fan output wire. It should be a negative (ground) for fan to be commanded off. This wire has a tendency to corrode more often than any other ecm wire (possibly because of placement inside wire loom) Open the plastic loom 1-6 inches from plug and inspect. 99% you will find your problem there along with some other wires that are aux. wires that might not even be used by truck.

The_Great_Corn Thanks this.
  5. Jdawg94

Jdawg94 Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2023
    Been having the same problem as JRBES and I just wanted to say that this comment just saved me more time and money than I care to think about. Thank you so much.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.