2006 Western Star electrical mystery

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by trojanhorse, Mar 5, 2020.

1. trojanhorse

trojanhorse Bobtail Member

Apr 14, 2015
    I have a 2006 4900 Wester Star FA with a Constellation bunk. The problem I have is that a week after installing 4 new batteries the truck started having electrical problems. Specifically the truck would start and then shut down a few minutes later, that was the first show of a problem. Then the truck would start and stay running but when I would turn on the lights the gauges would go haywire and then truck would shut down. Finally I got the truck to stay running and avoided turning on lights and got the truck to my service tech that I use. Now here is the part that pisses most of us off, when I got there I couldn't duplicate the issues. The truck was running normal. Any the mechanic checked all the wiring and then took it for a test drive and the truck shut down on him about four times. He got it back to the garage, cleaned up all connections at the batteries, the 100amp fuses on the firewall and cut the truck loose. Well the problem still exists but not as bad. Now in the morning the truck almost shuts down and at various points through the day the gauges goes snaky. Gentlemen, or ladies, any thoughts?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    First rule of troubleshooting. Check the last thing that you did.
    Given the age of the truck. When you changed the batteries you disturbed a wire that was getting flaky. Seeing as the gauges are wonky, I'd suspect a ground wire.
    Look at the battery cables. Look for one that may have insulation bulging, corrosion inside . I had a corroded washer on a ground stud on frame. It allowed the connection to get loose.
    Wire may have a break in it just beyond a crimp connector.
    It'll be something simple when you find it.

stillwurkin Thanks this.
  4. trojanhorse

trojanhorse Bobtail Member

Apr 14, 2015
    I think you’re exactly correct and that’s what I’ll be doing this weekend. I may even change all the cables just because the truck is old.

5. Snow Monster

Snow Monster Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2019
    I too would go back to the last thing you did and start checking wires and cables.

Being intermittent you might have a cable that's been rubbed bare in one spot that you can't see if you don't look for it that makes contact from time to time and shorts out.

Seen it a number of times, also airlines that were rubbed through.

trojanhorse Thanks this.
  6. Dallas 1974

Dallas 1974 Bobtail Member

Mar 15, 2021

7. Dallas 1974

Dallas 1974 Bobtail Member

Mar 15, 2021
    I have the same problem 06 western star truck dies losses voltage I can cycle key a few times volts come back truck starts may run 1000 miles or 2 miles had 4 shops looks at it changed batteries cleaned ecm plug cleaned bus bar on firewall changed 70 amp ignition relay changed ignition switch !! It’s still not fixed ... what did u find out with ur truck ? Any help is appreciated .. thx

8. Lockport

Lockport Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Lockport, MB, CAN
    I had an '06 with the MBE4000 and it did weird things with the gauges all the time until I changed the cab ECU. It's the silver box behind the tach cab side of the firewall. There's an updated unit that has a harness mating two plugs to one which reduces 3 to 2 as I recall. Anyway the dash gauges intermittent refusal to respond and done other quirks ceased.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.