2007 Freightliner Columbia 120 w 14L Detroit n 10 spd man, check engine light blinks after long idle

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by pfflyer, Nov 28, 2021.

1. pfflyer

pfflyer Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Looking to purchase the beast described above. I gave a 500 deposit to hold for four weeks.
    I went a couple days before my hold expired to check it out real good.
    It started right up after sitting those four weeks, but while giving it a thorough looking over and it idling for about 20 minutes the check engine light started blinking. It seemed odd to me that it would go away if I pressed on the gas pedal only to returned after a couple minutes at idle.
    Does anyone know what the issue might be?
    It does have 1.2 mill on it and was informed it has only been given injectors recently.
    No rebuild ........
    Everything else on the truck seems to work and runs fine with good oil pressure. I didn't take it out on the road as sales was closed, but noticed the key in it. Engine looked dry with no visible leaks.
    Brand new virgin rubber for 11k, its a single axle
    Thank You In Advance For Your Time)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ross_Tech

Ross_Tech Light Load Member

Aug 31, 2021
    Michigan
    Copied and pasted from the DDEC IV A&I manual:
    "3.16.1 Check Engine Light
    The CEL is controlled by the DDEC ECM. The CEL remains ON:

For approximately five (5) seconds at the start of every ignition cycle (a bulb check)

When an electronic system fault occurs (This indicates the problem should be diagnosed as soon as possible.)
    The CEL flashes:

When the Diagnostic Request Switch is used to activate the CEL to flash inactive codes

During last 90 seconds before Idle Shutdown if programmed for override"

Depending on how the parameters are programmed in your ecm, it is normal. I would definitely have a mechanic plug into it to verify before buying though.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.