2007 Freightliner Columbia Detroit 14L no throttle

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by chr1s427, Feb 4, 2014.

1. chr1s427

chr1s427 Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Hey guys I've got an issue with my 2007 Freightliner that is bugging the crap out of me. The throttle is intermittent while driving. It will operate perfectly fine then all of the sudden the check engine light comes on and I lose all throttle response. I changed the TPS and it worked fine for a few weeks but now it's back to doing it again. Has anyone experienced this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Did you change the Accelerator Pedal too or just the Pedal Sensor only, because if the Pedal has play in it, it will also cause the issue you are describing.

4. chr1s427

chr1s427 Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Just replaced the TPS itself. I have not looked at the pedal yet. Is it a common issue for the pedal to go out?

5. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Yes, they start getting play in them, when you let off the Accelerator Pedal, even though the pedal physically is back at Zero, internally the position that the ECM is reading is not, causing the hesitation because the ECM is not reading the proper value. It happened on my truck and I replaced the Pedal and it works perfect now. It's a common problem associated with age and wear.

HORIZON2819 Thanks this.
  6. wonderdog24

wonderdog24 Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Puyallup,Wa
    Had this happen years ago n the computer needed to be reprogrammed for it to stop.... Changed out tps five times before someone realized the computer needed updating...

7. chr1s427

chr1s427 Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Thanks a bunch guys. I will price an accelerator pedal and setup a time for Freightliner to reset my CPU. Down time = big frown. Tired of messing around.

8. Chip S

Chip S Light Load Member

May 27, 2013
    Texas
    I bet there is an intermittant short in the wire going from the TPS to the ECM. Most likely on the OEM harness from firewall to ECM. Before throwing parts at it, pull the loom off of your OEM harness and check for chaffing. They like to chaffe about 1 foot from the ECM connector.

9. chr1s427

chr1s427 Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Chip I took it to the dealer and they said the harness from the ECM to the firewall was bad. Harness was $700 and calls for 9 hours of labor to change. I just now woke up when someone hooked a defibulator to me.

10. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    like chip said,where the wire loom loops down coming out of rear most (o.e.m.)ecm connector.remove plastic loom and tape.90% of time problem is there.good luck.

11. Nurik74

Nurik74 Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2020
    I changed the ECM and after I got a yellow check engine, I pressed the pedal a little, so the yellow check stopped burning, but at the same time cruise control did not work. What could it be? need to change the pedal or just the sensor?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.