2007 Volvo D12 coolant in oil

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by D12 Owner, Apr 16, 2018.

1. D12 Owner

D12 Owner Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Hi just got an oil sample tested and it said I have seriously high coolant in the oil. I have been having to add a quart every week, nothing too alarming and my water pump is very slowing leaking around the housing so I thought that was it. Can a bad water pump put coolant in the oil? Truck runs fine, no odd smoke or noises, starts great, no oil in coolant tank, coolant looks perfect, nothing coming out the overflow cap. I know one of the possible causes is the egr cooler but it has been disconnect for awhile so thats not it. What are other possible causes? And can anyone recommend a good place to get a d12 overhauled (even if its been slightly de-emissioned)? Scared to death buy a newer one with all the problems they have been having.

2. RSB34

RSB34 Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2013
    PA.
    In my cat Accert I had the same problem we thought I needed a rebuild. They took the pan off and found the water pump was the cause it was leaking internally. I am not sure about the Volvo engine but it may be possible. Get it checked out asap that will kill the bearings fast.

D12 Owner Thanks this.
  3. D12 Owner

D12 Owner Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Thanks for the information, most mechanics I talk to today said on the Volvo D12 the water pump is seldom the cause, more then likely a piston liner (great...)

4. RSB34

RSB34 Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2013
    PA.
    I'm sitting here figuering what to do with my engine and truck. Cummins just gave a estimate of $45,000 to rebuild. So your not alone. Good luck

D12 Owner Thanks this.
  5. D12 Owner

D12 Owner Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2018
    I know it's a headache for sure, what year of truck?

6. RSB34

RSB34 Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2013
    PA.
    1999 I going to put a used engine in it. No way I can pay that kind of money

D12 Owner Thanks this.
  7. Mudman78

Mudman78 Light Load Member

May 23, 2016
    The waterpump is possible, but not likely. It's not the EGR cooler. There's no oil flowing through the cooler. Only coolant and exhaust. Probably injector cups. Pull the valve cover and see if there's traces of coolant around the injector bores.

D12 Owner Thanks this.
  8. LeeJackson

LeeJackson Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Santa Fe Springs, CA

$45K for a rebuild? Ouch! What year? Seems very high. You should be able to swap for a reman engine for about half that.

D12 Owner Thanks this.
  9. RSB34

RSB34 Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2013
    PA.
    It's a 99 I'm swapping engines. Local shop said rebuild be around $25k that Cummins are nuts. I found I low mile used engine I'll get that in for right around $12k.

D12 Owner Thanks this.
  10. LeeJackson

LeeJackson Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Santa Fe Springs, CA
    Now that makes sense!

D12 Owner and RSB34 Thank this.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted