2009 Freightliner leaking antifreeze on turbo (Mercedes engine)

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by ichudov, Mar 8, 2018.

1. ichudov

ichudov Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    Today was a bad day for me in general and for many reasons. Like a got a ticket for no seatbelt in a pickup truck and a customer does not want to pay me.

Of more relevance, I have a 2009 Freightliner Columbia daycab with a Mercedes engine. It broke today.

I was driving on a highway, just 3 miles from my place, when I noticed huge amounts of white smoke coming out from the hood and underneath the truck. It would be the worst when I push on gas.

I stopped to look. The truck was leaking antifreeze copiously.

I unhooked the truck and got another truck because I had a job to do. Later I came back and picked up the broken truck with my lowboy.

Anyway, the leak appears to happen just behind the turbo. On the attached picture I circled the general area. I am also provding a link with more pictures.

How can I get started figuring this out and at least, what is the circled part? Anyone had this problem?

Antifreeze Leaking on Turbo

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ichudov

ichudov Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    We unloaded the truck and looked more closely. See picture and see the circle and arrow pointing.

It is a tube that goes from the engine block to the EGR cooler. It opened a pretty gaping opening in the joint in the pipe -- not sure why this happened. 20180309_081611.jpg

QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.