2009 VOLVO 770 Automatic : Transmission STUCK in Reverse

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by gl3, Jul 27, 2013.

1. gl3

gl3 Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2013
    Just purchased a Volvo 770 Auto. Truck will not star, display reads Neutral secured not detected. Does anyone have any advice to get me back to work. Is this common?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rwdfinch50

rwdfinch50 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Leesburg, Fl.
    Try to reset the computer. Turn the key on and off ten times quickly without starting the truck, then wait about 10 minutes, and try it again. Sometimes doing this will work. Good luck.

4. danwantstodrive

danwantstodrive Light Load Member

Feb 3, 2011
    connecticut
    I used to drive an automatic at my last job, when this happened I shut the truck off and about 10 minutes later it'd be good. Or also what the guy above said, turn the key on off 10 times and reset it. But for me that never worked.

5. Jimmbuds

Jimmbuds Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Try disconnecting negative side of the batteries, make sure you take all wires loose. I have some small about 16 gauge wires that go to the transmission from the batteries, I have to take them loose in order to reset transmission ECM

6. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    Could be the shift sensor is bad on truck. Disconnect bat

7. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    hey open hood strip off short wire cross starter short time will rock it if u on a hill let off brake and roll key on never turn off in gear or get any one to push u a few bits to take pressure off it will hitt n then start up

8. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
    Could be a bad clutch..

9. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    Id say disconnect the batts over night. If it doesn't work in the morning, get it towed to a shop.

10. Merk

Merk Bobtail Member

Sep 19, 2018
    In my case it was the actual shifter.

I removed the housing, it’s all snap together pieces.

You will see on th left side of the shifter (seat side) a white piece with led lights. GENTLY!!! Pull that away from gray shifter.

Inside you will see a white piece that moves and tells the shifter what gear you are in. In my case the magnet had somehow fallen out. Once I got that back in and properly seated I was able to start the truck!!

However, after I put it all back together, I had to gently lift the top part of the housing off just a tad to get it to recognize neutral again. Did now fully disassemble it again.

Hope this helps anyone that gets stuck with this problem.

Keep the shiny side up out there!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.