2009 w900l vibration

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by jake744, Feb 17, 2018.

1. jake744

jake744 Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2017
    I pulled my fro18210c and installed a rtlo18918b to try and cure a slight vibration I was having due to what it ought was transmission. Now I have a much worse vibration. It is smooth up till 50mph,then when you hit 55-65mph it buzzes bad in floor,mirrors and steering wheel bad enough it will make your feet start tingling.
    Here's list of things I've tried.
    I had to shorten hanger shaft 3 1/8 inch it was trued and balanced. Even had rear shaft checked all good.
    New clutch
    Tried spacing hanger bearing down no change
    Moved air suspension setting every way possible no change
    I pulled front diff and power divider apart all looks like new
    I put truck on jack stands pulled shaft going to rear diff to elimate it,pulled tires and brake drums. I run it up to 60mph shake just as bad.
    So I pulled the whole drive line down and run it up to 60mph and its smooth.
    I then put hanger shaft back in and it's smooth,so I put rear shaft in and it goes back to vibrating.
    So I'm think it's got to be rear shaft but it was never cut. So I load the rear shaft back up and go to driveline shop and watch him check it. It spins up smooth as silk and shows about .003 wobble.
    I'm about to pull my hair out. The trans is a reman rtlo18918b and can't believe that could be it as its smooth when the rear shaft is removed.
    Drive line is spl250 and all joints are good.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    So is the vibration the same feel as with the old trans or worse..... or different all together? Don't guess on the ride height. Get the spec and set it ......done. Measure the axle angles and u joint operating angles after setting the ride height. Have you eliminated wheels and tires running untrue or imbalance?

You used the word buzzing........This leads me to believe that your vibration is engine rpm dependant, not road speed. Driveline vibrations are ussually felt in the seat and floor. Inspect the engine mounts for hard contact or wear. Also look for for anything attached to the engine hard contacting the frame or cab anywhere, exhaust components especially.

Does it change under load......decell......clutch released?

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  4. jake744

Dec 27, 2017
    It’s way worse with new trans. It was noticeable with old trans but nothing like this.
    I set factory ride height and went from there.
    I put truck on jack stands and removed the wheels and brake drums and run it up to 60mph on jack stands still vibrating.

It’s more in seat and floor but in steering wheel also.
    Motor mounts are all good.
    I can get under truck while it’s running 60mph on jack stands and the rubber doesn’t even wiggle in the hanger bearing so I don’t know.

5. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Look at the rear transmission support.

6. jake744

Dec 27, 2017
    She's in perfect shape. Even still has the rubber isolators on each end of the support.

7. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    The drive shaft is like a long stethoscope that is trasfering an imbalance up through the trans and engine into the cab.

It sure seems that your issue would be in the front drive somewhere. While running on stands have you tried locking the diff to see if it makes a difference in the vibration. If you pull either axle from the front drive does it go away?

8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Remove the interaxle drive shaft, lock your power divider and road test it again. Also, check your slip yokes, sometimes they seize up and won't slide anymore and will cause this.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  9. jake744

Dec 27, 2017
    I’ve already removed the rear rear axle shaft and locked the power divider and went down the road,there was no change.
    Slip yokes,u-joints all tight. My old man is convinced it’s in the trans. I don’t have another 18 to try but I have a nice low mileage rtlo18913A I might try. I’ve never had a vibration I can’t find but this one has got me. My wife said what did you change and I said trans and driveshaft so she says it’s probably one of those then lol.

10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Have you checked the driveline angles yet? What about torque arm and suspension bushings? Worn torque arm bushings could cause the diff to pitch forward or rearward and screw with the angles. The fact that it did it with the old and new transmission leads me to believe your original issue might not have been entirely transmission related.

11. jake744

Dec 27, 2017
    I'm going to play with angles more. The hanger shaft is 2 degree fall and rear shaft around 5 degree fall. Shaft are in time. Torque arms are like new all bushings tight. It had a very light vibration with 10 speed. When I got it out the input had some wear on bearing as it had more movement up and down than it should have. I thought I have found the problem but I didn't. With the 10 the vibration was not bad enough I couldn't use the truck. The vibration with the 18 has made truck unusable unless I want to run 50mph or slower. I've thought maybe the big bearing in back of main box could have play in it.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.