2010 Volvo 780 electrical issue

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Owner/Ops, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Owner/Ops

Owner/Ops Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Hi everyone, hope that all are good. I have owned my 780 for going on about 4 years. I have been having this issue with my truck since I bought it. When I first start my truck up in the morning, the read out on the dash for the volts reads 13.9 to 14.1. However, once I start turning on headlights and a/c both cab and sleeper, it will drop to 12.2 and sometimes even lower. I have 4 brand new batteries (950) and a brand new heavy duty alternator that I purchased directly from Volvo and I am still having the same issue. When it gets down into the 12.2 range I hear a faint beeping sound and the light that indicates that the bunk a/c is on, starts blinking. If I just turn the a/c in the bunk off and leave the lights on and the front a/c, it will read from 12.5 to 12.7. I am going nuts trying to figure this out. Anyone ever have anything similar to this? Would greatly appreciate any information that can be passed along. BE SAFE EVERYONE!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Top right search block: Volt meter reading low, alternator and batt good. Lots of other good info on that block.
    Maybe try voltage drop testing. Thats where I found it.

4. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Does the truck have a battery cutoff switch? Try replacing that. On my 2010 it would do some weird things before I replaced it

5. mmk trucking

mmk trucking Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2016
  6. Owner/Ops

Owner/Ops Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2018

Thanks I will give it a shot. I will let you know what I find.

7. Owner/Ops

Owner/Ops Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2018

I asked a buddy of mine and he told me the same thing. He said to try bypassing it and if that was the problem, replace the switch. I appreciate the info, I will let you know what I find, thanks.

8. Owner/Ops

Owner/Ops Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2018

Thanks for the reply, that’s what I was thinking. I will attempt to search for it and I will let you know what I find.

9. combo7

combo7 Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Worcester MA
    Did you figure it out? I’m having the same issue thanks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.