2010 Western Star 4900

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by Ski125, May 8, 2020.

1. Ski125

Ski125 Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2017
    My 2010 Western Star with a DD15 is acting up when warmed up, I changed the fuel filter and still runs better when the engine is cold. When the engine warms up and I am at a light and start giving it fuel to go it falls dead on it’s face, I have to try to rev the engine up and then it will move. Also when I do it will send grayish black smoke out then it runs fine. Going down the highway it runs great I hate to stop because I know it will act up again. Any ideas?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    This problem seems to be very common. My 2000 is doing it. I suspect air sucking into the fuel system, between the tanks and the pump. Check for bubbles in fuel tanks, from air in fuel being returned to the tanks. Check fuel lines and filter for cracks. It won’t leak fuel, only suck air. Sputter, blow large amounts of white/grey smoke, till it catches. Usually after idling.

4. Ski125

Ski125 Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2017
    I didn’t even think to check for air leaks. I will inspect it and let you know. Thanks!

5. Ski125

Ski125 Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2017
    I said I would get back about this, well I don’t think that was the problem. No bubbles in the tanks no fuel leaks nothing. The problem is still there.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. Ski125

Ski125 Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2017
    The problem is low oil pressure at a stop. I took the truck to Detroit Diesel, they did a full diagnostic test on the engine and determined to be seals wearing out and need to be replaced underneath the engine. They have to remove the oil pan to replace the seals.

Frontman Thanks this.
  7. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    Common issue on DD engine. Orings on pick up tube harden and turn to plastic. Same orings on oil cooler housing. (oil in antifreeze issue)

Frontman Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.