2011 Peterbilt 387 Hood Pivot assembly

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by David387, Sep 21, 2018.

1. David387

David387 Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2018
    Anyine replaced this? Any tips or advice?

Opened hood and the entire hood flipped forward and landed on top of me. Saddle below center bar broke and ripped the little shocks right off.

Part number is 13-05168

On a side note I hate dealers that gouge on parts. #### part is 1350.00 at local dealer but I can drive 100 miles and get same part for $1000 from another dealer

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Is that the bar that runs horizontal with the bumper that supports the hood? If so, ours broke once. Ratchet strapped the hood down, took it to our local body shop, $900 our the door. New bar, new hood shocks

4. David387

David387 Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2018
    That’s the one. Smoking deal at $900 because the price above doesn’t include the shocks

5. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Yea I was pretty upset when my driver called 300 miles away saying the hood fell off!!!! Oh man. Good luck

6. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Just nuts and bolts but usually a rusty job on a older chassis. Get the torch and or a air hammer at the ready. Obviously the hood must come off and the the bumper too. Have some extra hands ready at least four to handle the hood if your doing it by hand.

If the bottom shock mounts are trashed or broken off (they often are) get the welder out to fix it. The lower brackets are part of the whole lower cross brace mount between the spring hangers. Big expensive part and an even bigger job.

For someone that has done one and in a professional shop maybe half day. 5 hrs.
    Easily twice that if not.

7. Expeditor

Expeditor Medium Load Member

Mar 5, 2018
    I have a 05 387 don't know if it uses the same setup. Mine has a long tube that runs from hinge to hinge, inside that tube is a torsion bar, the tube is held on to the frame with a aluminum bracket, in the center, with two bolts. I priced mine out whole assembly 1,000 without the shocks. Inside torsion bar 100.00-150.00? the center aluminum support that holds the tube in place 115.00 dollars. I have not changed mine out yet but it doesn't look to complicated. There is tension on that center aluminum piece so be careful.

[​IMG]

8. David387

David387 Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2018

This is the one I just picked up. All one piece.

8AC4CB92-9A13-48A5-B641-C8518FB18B01.jpeg

9. David387

David387 Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2018
    I’m going to tackle this in the morning. I appreciate the responses

10. WrenchWrenchWrench

WrenchWrenchWrench Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2016
    We do these once a month or so where I work. They're not too bad. Remove the bumper and flip the hood forward and rest it on something that can support once you unbolt it. We use a pallet on a forklift with some cardboard between. Once its rested where it will sit still just remove the nut and bolt thats on both sides and have someone gently let it roll forward to where it wont move. replace the hinge and roll it back up. The hard parts is lining everything up while rolling the hood back up onto the hinge. We use two people to push up on the hood and one standing on the engine to catch it and let it down to where the studs are far enough through the mounting holes to get a nut on them. After that thread the bolt in on either side, leave everything loose and set the hood down and latch it in place.now your hoods aligned so reach in there and finish tightening them up with a 18mm. Open it back up, connect the wiring harnesses and the hinges and throw the bumper back on.

11. Dougmarquette

Dougmarquette Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2018
    I replaced my last fall my self it’s a pain

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.