2012 Cascadia a/c gets warmer after 2 hours.

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by OSCBRADLEY, Mar 1, 2018.

1. OSCBRADLEY

OSCBRADLEY Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    Hello. The a/c on my truck works great for about 2 hours then the air “force” starts to drop off and it becomes warmer, sometimes blows visible vapor out the dash vents. I have been battling this for a year!!! So far i have put in a new condensor, compressor and sam module (cabin) nothing has fixed it!!! Last time it stopped working i stopped the truck to see if the clutch was engaging and it was. Also noticed frost on the large a/c line going into the dryer. Im thinking of replacing the evaperator next but i cant help but think its something electrical somewhere. Any thoughts?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tony97905

tony97905 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Land of Ahhhhhs
    Frost on the line going to the drier would indicate a blockage....was it changed when you replaced condenser/compressor?

4. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    It’s not blockage most likely the freeze switch in the cab is not telling the compressor to shut off or cycle and if it doesn’t cycle on and off the only thing that will happen is it’s going to freeze system starting with evaporator. I would check where the freeze switch is and replace that before putting any more $$$$ into it. Should be mounted on evaporator Assy

5. dunchues

dunchues Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2012
    new brunswick
    I had a similar issue to yours, and it was a costly nightmare to fix. Turned out to be a temp sensor, freightliner price 10$. It's located in the hvac box behind the cover on the passenger side and is located just to the right of the fan motor. There are 2 thin wires into a small connector, if you unplug it you can pull it out . Sort of like a plastic frame about 3 inches long and 3/8 wide. It might not be that, but it's the cheapest part I've bought for my truck and it worked for me.

mhyn Thanks this.
  6. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    When I see an A/C freeze up, the first thing I do is remove the fan motor and wash out the evaporator with water (garden hose adapted to a 1/4 air line) fixes the issue 90% of the time. But our trucks run about 80% off road and the filters just don’t catch all the dust.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.