2012 cummins

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by BKlounge47, Apr 23, 2017.

1. BKlounge47

BKlounge47 Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Looking at buying a 2012 truck with Cummins motor..I'm aware on the ceramic plunger problem however can't find much info on it and want to Kno more info before we buy. What manufacture dates were they bad? What family number where they from? Is there a solution to the problem? Any other info much appreciated. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Put it this way. If I bought one I would check and update reguardless. No way I'm running my business off what was supposed to be done etc

We've seen some with fuel pumps after the date where they were supposed to be recalled, and yes they still had ceramic plungers. And those little plungers will do a whole lot of damage.

I don't recall the "date" that they went non ceramic. But I do believe there's a "disassemble" guide on quickserve that one could go through the process their self of checking

4. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    We have 3 2013 units that were outside the recalls. One let loose at 340k miles. Required a new engine. The other 2 got changed the next week at owners expense. I think it was $3200.00 each. The motor replacement was out of warranty so cost the owner about $20k out of pocket and 6 weeks without the truck. Cummins covered the rest of the $47k bill.

Good luck.

5. HighCountry

HighCountry Light Load Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Stephenville, Texas
    • @BKlounge47 , best way I've found too check for needed/performed updates is take pic of engine plate (has model/serial number and specs), and call your local Cummins Distributor, NOT A TRUCK DEALERSHIP, they'll know what's been done and/or needing to be updated.
    Good luck and be careful.

6. Strange77

Strange77 Light Load Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Just look down at the fuel pump cylinder head, if you see a silver gasket between the head and pump body it's probably been done.

HighCountry Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.