2013 prostar factory radio glitch

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Bigdawg69, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Bigdawg69

Bigdawg69 Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2014
    Well dealer was no help on this due to navistars policy. i have factory radio that is buggy. first off when the ignition is on the radio is not powered at all. So you push the power button and it comes on and says initilizating ( sirius) some times it stays on for an hour sometimes only 30 or 40 minutes then goes off. it has power because the clock stays set. also the steering wheel buttons dont work it either. Thats on a good day. On a bad day it you goes on and off constantly all day long like every 3 - seconds. sometimes stays for 10 seconds sometimes not.
    Now the shop just did the standard navistar test and said there is nothing wrong with the radio..... So there must be something wrong somewhere in wiring i am guessing. Also i unhooked the bunk radio to eliminate that possibility.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    If you turn the key on and the radio doesn't come on then it is missing ignition power. If you hit the power button when the radio thinks the key isn't on, it will only stay on for 1 hour max. If the truck batteries are low enough, load shedding will turn off the radio if the engine isn't running. But, if your ignition power feed to the radio is touchy, this is why it comes on/off for a few minutes at a time. Every time it loses ignition power it thinks you are turning off the key and therefore it shuts down. Losing ignition power is what they should be focusing on.

4. Bigdawg69

Bigdawg69 Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2014
    actually now that you mention load shedding that is exactly what happened just before this all started. it worked fine until i went to start the truck and it went to load shedding and hasent worked correct since then. is there something i can look for to correct this? i pulled the breakers numerous times
    update. the radio is good they tried it in another truck and works fine. one guy said might be the body controller. any thoughts on this? also now they got my windows so they dont work now.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Once load shedding trips it will stay tripped until you cycle the key. So to reset it all you need to do is key off and then back on and start the engine. Radio has no interaction with the body controller. I believe the windows are also load shedded accessories. A key cycle should also bring those back online.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.