2013 prostar maxxforce air guage malfunction

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by q258, Oct 8, 2018.

1. q258

q258 Bobtail Member

Sep 19, 2018
    Both air gauges pinned at 6 o'clock And low pressure warning alarm sounding.

Everything mechanically seems to be working. I can go down the road and drive through it and it will intermittently return to normal then again go to 6 o'clock and sound the low pressure alarm. There is no consistent pattern to it with respect to the timing of it. Sometimes it will happen for 30 seconds or so then not happen for a few minutes other times it will happen for 10-15 minutes stop for a minute then start again and vice versa.

This literally just started happening a few hours ago, just got into a truck stop to try and diagnose further. I don't know what's going on but have been told so far that you can reset the dash by shutting the truck off then after the display goes out turn the key to on, let everything cycle then turn it off and repeat two more times. I was also thinking about pulling the battery cables to cut power to the cab and try to reboot the ECM and BCM...

Any other suggestions? And would LOVE to hear from someone that may be able to offer some insight into what is ACTUALLY going on. Electrical short, bad harness wiring, sensors perhaps, maybe the BCM itself???? HELP!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The air pressure gauges are feed data from the body controller. The body controller reads the pressure of each system through pressure sensors. When both gauges go to 6 o'clock that means there is faulty data. Both sensors share the same 5 volt reference, so if one sensor fails and shorts internally, it takes out both tank readings. They also share the same ground, so if the wire breaks, or the 5 volt reference wire shorts out, you get the same problem too. The sensors are located behind the cluster near the firewall and are lots of fun to get to. There will be one with an orange sticker for secondary, and one with a green for primary. You can unplug on at a time and see of the other gauge starts to work in case it is a bad sensor. Disconnecting your batteries is a waste of time.

AModelCat and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  4. q258

q258 Bobtail Member

Sep 19, 2018
    Thank you! Much appreciated!

It's throwing 1079 fmi 1 - short on gauge, I think?

Seems like it could be water related, been driving in and out of heavy rains the past 24 hours, everytime I hit a patch of heavy rain it goes off and stays that way until about 30 min after clearing it then it'll be fine until I hit HEAVY rain again. Could be coincidence but it's the most consistent thing to coincide.

Anyway, you've certainly spelled it out clearly enough. Thanks again.

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    That code is shorted 5 volt reference. This happens more so with a shorting sensor internal fault. So try to unplug on at a time if you can and see if the opposite gauge comes back to life.

q258 Thanks this.
  6. q258

q258 Bobtail Member

Sep 19, 2018
    I'm gonna have to pull the gauge cluster aren't I???

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    If you want it fix, somebody has to.

q258 and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  8. q258

q258 Bobtail Member

Sep 19, 2018
    Got er fixed up - job made easy by your input. Much appreciated.

We'll see what's next - always something with this truck.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Was it a bad sensor, or wiring?

10. q258

q258 Bobtail Member

Sep 19, 2018
    Wiring, shorted 5v reff. And you were not kidding about it being a lot of fun to get back in there.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  11. montrose818

montrose818 Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2018
    On the topic of air gauges, my 2002 Int truck gauge 2 is about 15-20psi too high. At complete zero it shows about 15psi.

Does this seem like a sensor issue? It does rise/drop accordingly, but just 15-20 too high.

Thank you.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.