2014 Cascadia Evo. Radio goes off and on..

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Auctioneer, Jan 14, 2015.

1. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    It's sounding like a loose wire to the ignition switch. You could always just bypass this issue by connecting the wire that goes to the ignition switch directly to the constant power then your radio will always stay on until you turn it off. I just did that with my radio this weekend and love having the #### thing stay on all night while I'm parked and the engine is off.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. breadtrk

breadtrk Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Grounds, grounds, grounds. Don't waste time on anything else until you have done every ground on the truck. That does not mean look at them, or wiggle them, it means undo them, sand paper, wire brush, grinder, reassemble, and recoat with the reddish paint Freightliner uses.

Unless you do that, you could be chasing Gremlins forever. These trucks are famous for bad grounds from the factory.

4. Trucker Marx

Trucker Marx Bobtail Member

May 21, 2017

5. Trucker Marx

Trucker Marx Bobtail Member

May 21, 2017
    I replaced the PNDB last week got 5 miles down the road and it still does it.Is there any other solution?

6. CaptainRON

CaptainRON Bobtail Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Ok so 2015 freightliner installed aftermarket radio correctly triple checked connections checked fuses one says amplifier one says radio behind glove box when i turn the radio up past 20 or try to play a cd it shuts off wtf

7. CaptainRON

CaptainRON Bobtail Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Fuse postion 8 and 9

8. BigRigBillyTrucking

BigRigBillyTrucking Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2017
    TEXAS
    If your radio has power, but you cannot hear anything. Try THE MUTE BUTTON in the SLEEPER!?@

That was my problem I just solved it but has nothing to do with POWER lol....

9. allendriven

allendriven Bobtail Member

Aug 10, 2019
    Wherever
    It's got to be a gremlin. I just got in a 2018 Cascadia last week and it does it randomly. Driving, idling, Acc., et al. I'm thinking they went cheap and used wiring that won't handle the voltage. Maybe getting hot and shutting down the radio? Is there a lower voltage wire than for the radio? If this is the case, did they go cheap somewhere more important? I'm definitely keeping notes on this trucks little idiosyncrasies. (Wierd stuff) to the laypersons.

10. allendriven

allendriven Bobtail Member

Aug 10, 2019
    Wherever
    I just got in a 2018 Cascadia and it has the same issue. Rolling, idling, Acc., Comfort mode, et al,. Did they go cheap and use wire with too low of a voltage rating? Wire gets hot and radio goes down? Is there wire rated less than the radio? If so, did they go cheap somewhere more important? I'm keeping notes on all it's little idiosyncrasies. That's (wierd ****) to the laypersons.

11. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I had a 2013 from new, it did it when the air conditioner was running, blowing against the key switch, always momentary and at night if I was not near lights, I'd see a flash by my left knee(keyswitch arc).

A different switch helped, but not completely.

I now have a 2018 old style Evolution with the same problem, see the arc in the dark, sometimes the radio goes off, and sometimes it doesn't, but again, only when the AC is on, and any defog setting turns that on and the recirc off, running on recirc when using AC reduces the problem, too, but not completely. That one is much slower to come back on, there is more delay in most electrical switching than I noticed in the 13.

New truck has bluetooth radio, which I never use, and is set up for some ELDs to produce audio, which we also don't need. So the radio can't be wired to be always on according to the mechanic I asked. He said they would change the radio, but it's not that big of a problem. One of the guys put an in dash sat receiver in, I will ask his son, who's still driving it, how that works.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.