2014 Cascadia with DD16 nightmare truck!

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Brucesmith, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Brucesmith

Brucesmith Heavy Load Member

Jun 16, 2012
    I work for an O/O on a 2014 Cascadia with a DD16. Spent a week at a local FL dealer. The truck was stumbling. Hard to explain but when you applied throttle at lower speeds there was almost a hesitation. Instinct had me applying more throttle and then it would catch and almost over rev. They tried everything but finally DD sent them some new software and it is better. I just had to learn to go very easy in the first 3 gears ( 18 speed but I drive it as a 13 speed). I am on the road and yesterday got an emission system red light! I called DD and they can do an analysis of codes in your ECM. Amazing! Code was for a bad NOx sensor. While driving to nearest FL dealer got a check engine light and then it derated to max 55 mph. According to DD next it would have gone to 35 mph and finally 5 mph! DD instructed dealer to do a forced regen. Nothing changed. They installed a new OX sensor and did another regen. Still has the emission light. After 2 hours DD said to replace the whole I box. This is the entire scr system, doc and most of the DPF. Big box that sits under the PS step. Big and heavy. Of course no one has it in stock. Finally they found one in Calgary. I am in Nebraska! Even after offering to pay the $600 air freight it might be here Monday. This is ridiculous. I am sure glad it is not my truck! I am now wondering if the latest problem is related to the stumbling???? How can anyone make money with a truck that will not stay on the road? It only has just over 100,000 miles. Are all the new trucks like this? Is a Volvo any better?

Dominick253 and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think it's a crap shoot with any new truck you buy.

Dominick253 and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  4. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    In one right now, 215,000 and no problem.
    Its a total crap shoot.

5. x5050160

x5050160 Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2013
    Saint Joseph, MO
    I was in 2 different Cascadia's one I had to regen after 6 hours of idle time. Everytime. Only had 40000 miles on it. The other one never ever wanted a regen. Had 114000 on it and it used 1/10th of the Def the newer truck used.

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  6. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

My 2014 Cascadia has not done a regen yet at 43000 miles. At least nothing on the dash has ever lit up for exhaust temp or anything.
    We have 8 new trucks...some regen and some don't.....crazy!

lovesthedrive and Dominick253 Thank this.
  7. Brucesmith

Brucesmith Heavy Load Member

Jun 16, 2012
    It gets worse! Got to Kansas and emission light came on> 30 miles later the check engine light came on. Dealer in Nebraska kept truck for 2 days. They did a regen, changed the NOx sensor and some of the dosing system. Light was still on .Detroit said to replace the whole 1 box. This is a giant box under the passenger step. Has 2 DOC's And 2 DPF's and a whole lot of other crap. Only one available was in Alberta. $600 for air freight. So far it is running OK. That box has a list price of $18,000. Crazy

8. Verdel

Verdel Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2013
    Code:

Why I am not surprise ? For $18 000, I can buy a good pre emission truck. Friend of mine had a Cascadia, drive shaft broke down, truck was on 200k miles, still new, it was fixed under warranty, but the bill was $12 000. Really ? Probably drive shaft was made out of gold. I don't run California and prefer pre emission truck, until they get rid of the EGR, DPF and came up with some new kind clean fuel or additive that will compensate for EGR and DPF.

Dominick253 and Mooose Thank this.
  9. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    odds are you limit idling and drive it proper . in my 2009 i could tell by the boost gauge if it did a passive regen. not sure if newer models are the same but when doing a passive regen id get 3or4 extra lbs of boost

10. Sebas

Sebas Bobtail Member

May 4, 2013
    Stay away from Volvo; you will jump from the hot pot into the fire...

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  11. crlang1979

crlang1979 Bobtail Member

Jun 29, 2014
    You have a good truck. The DD16 is a brand new engine so there are gonna be some wrinkles to iron out. Detroit Diesel makes some really strong engines. The 60 series, DD13 and DD15 are all well built engines and most Freightliner dealerships like the one I work for have a lot of the parts you need. I read that the one box needed to be replaced that's a part most dealerships won't have in stock cause its about $7000.00.
    The parts and labor should be warranty since it's a 2014 with 100,000 miles. So if the owner-operator paid for these he needs to get his $ back.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.