2014 Cummins ISX15 won't stay running opinions please

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by miss elvee, Nov 5, 2017.

1. miss elvee

miss elvee Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Russellville, AR
    Hi gang!

Miss E here. We just bought a Kenworth T680. Ran it to Dallas/FW and back two days ago. Had been throwing water in fuel code, so when we got it back we planned on changing the separator and main fuel filter.

Before we got a chance, it refused to start. Turn the key - starter cranks - truck fires up and runs for 3 seconds up to about 500 RPM, then sputters and dies. Seems like not getting fuel. SO... we changed out the separator. Tried to crank it and bleed the lines at the maintenance point in the rail right next to the pump. Bled out the air, spewing diesel, cranking 2-3 minutes. no dice.

So then we changed the inline. Bled it through and again, no dice. It acts the very same as if we did nothing at all. Cranks, starts, starves and dies. Pump is getting power, you can hear it run. The fuel rails have pressure to the maintenance plugs.

Help help? Any ideas? Me and Mr. E are stumped.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fargonaz

fargonaz Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    If there is significant water in the fuel, you might have to drain the tanks, since the water will be down by the pickup.

miss elvee Thanks this.
  4. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    The ISX15 is self priming and should bleed of air on its own just by cycling the key off, then on and fuel lift pump is running as you say that it is. If you have good clean fuel supplying the engine you likely have done all that you can. No start diagnosis should be followed at a qualified repair center. Unfortunately there are a lot of possibilities as to the cause at this point.

Shaggy76, miss elvee and Heavyd Thank this.
  5. miss elvee

Dec 15, 2012
    Russellville, AR
    Thanks, gentlemen. Yeah we did everything we could. Had her towed today with a suspected waist gate valve issue after hashing it out with the service manager.

fargonaz Thanks this.
  6. fargonaz

Feb 9, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    A stuck closed VGT would definitely make it hard for the engine to run. Good luck with the stealership.

little cat 500 and miss elvee Thank this.
  7. miss elvee

Dec 15, 2012
    Russellville, AR
    I know I didn't want to drag it in. Yep, they can be crooks. But we're not tooled out enough to do everything just yet.

So, they're crooks with tools. lol

fargonaz Thanks this.
  8. fargonaz

Feb 9, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    And dead truck storage.

miss elvee Thanks this.
  9. CoolHand244

CoolHand244 Bobtail Member

Jul 14, 2016
    Miss Elvee what did you ever find out what wa going on with your ISX 15? I'm having the same issue and can't seem to find the solution.

10. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I had an older ISX that was particular about what brand of fuel filters it had, Baldwin filters had an o-ring that was too thin and let air in so I would lose prime everytime I shut off the truck.
    Had to use starter fluid to get it going until a mechanic told me to put in a Fleet Guard filter. Worked good after that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.