2014 ISX, from bad cam to rebuild

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by SemperFiServices, Feb 9, 2020.

1. SemperFiServices

SemperFiServices Medium Load Member

Jan 29, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Took our 2015 Prostar (bought it with 495k from Lone Mountain) to Cummins to run the overhead. They found the cam was severely pitted, I've read that that year they were just bad from Cummins? They also had ECM printouts (I asked to bump up hp), which showed abnormal dpf in/out temps. I then explained that I'm adding FOUR friggin gallons of oil in between 25k oil changes. They said my engine probably is a victim of polished bores, another Cummins failure

Thankfully I have a 2 year warranty on it, but through Navistar, so they buttoned it up and I took it to the local International dealer. They have yet to look at it, but I've got two questions- 1, would it be safe to assume I'm going to get the engine rebuilt under warranty? I was told it could only take 3 days to inframe it?? And 2, since the cam is also a warranty item, that I will also get a free overhead, to include the engine brake? I don't really see this as a bonus, because I'd rather be working and making money, but maybe I'm just looking at it wrong. Thanks for any advice or input.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Most likely you will not get a rebuild. Most warranties are such that it repairs the problem and that is it. So if you have say 2 out of 6 cylinder liners failed and the failure is covered, you'll get 2 liners.

As for overhead, well that pretty much HAS to be done because you're replacing the cam. Part of the job. Be pretty silly to send it out the door without check valve clearances when you've replaced a worn cam with a new one. I'm not an ISX guy so it never hurts to ask if the jake will get checked/adjusted.

QUALITYTRUCK and SemperFiServices Thank this.
  4. SemperFiServices

Jan 29, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I was reading on a Cummins site that you can not have different liners in the block, so I'm hoping they don't put a band aid on only a couple cylinders. But with my horrible oil consumption rate, I'm willing to bet they're all mirror smooth. Hopefully they get back to me soon so I'll know for sure.

5. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    cummins could have rebuilt that engine. i would trust cummins before a truck dealer.

baha Thanks this.
  6. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Had my 2013 isx overhauled at 684k and all the liners were polished.
    Was only using a gallon every 1000 miles.

Dave_in_AZ and baha Thank this.
  7. SemperFiServices

Jan 29, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    The truck had a Navistar warranty, so had to take it to International dealer. Yes I would've preferred to have Cummins do it, but you take what you can get.

8. SemperFiServices

Jan 29, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    ONLY?? lol

bzinger and Doealex Thank this.
  9. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    so cummins couldnt work on the warranty of navistar

10. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I was being sarcastic lol ...but yep that's what it was using.

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  11. SemperFiServices

Jan 29, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    No, I wasn't happy with it either. Here's why- the inframe kit came with a damaged liner- so they finally got the last liner in today, and instead of the tech jumping right on it, he had to finish another job on another truck he had going on at Rush before getting back to mine. But I'm trying to be positive- im getting a free inframe so it is what it is

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.