2014 UTILITY DRY VAN WHEEL HUB CAP BROKE

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Vaso.L, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Vaso.L

Vaso.L Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2014
    South Holland,IL
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I was not able to find trailer forum so i'll post it here.
    This hub cap broke for unknown reason to me.
    I can not remember hitting anything.
    It is grease packed hub so how long before it dries up?
    It is still not heating up,not familiar with grease packed hubs.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WrenchyMcwrench

WrenchyMcwrench Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Go to a truck stop that sells parts(TA Loves etc) and buy new hubcap. In this situation anything’s better than that. I would turn off tire inflation sys on trailer, also remove airlines going to the tire valve stems. Remove broken hubcap, and replace w/ new. Now you bought some time to get it fixed properly. There’s no guarantee this will work without knowing how the original cap broke. If temperature or pressure caused cap failure, you have bigger problems. Definitely don’t chance something like that. Call road service ASAP.

mhyn Thanks this.
  4. Vaso.L

Vaso.L Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2014
    South Holland,IL
    it looks like these hubs are filled with oil and this grease is just tire max pro system,utility site says.
    .Iv been driving like this for a month and its not heating up.
    edit:
    I checked part number on the hubcap and its 32056-3 which is grease but there is a version with oil too.
    Still dont know how this tiremax system works and if it affects the bearings in the wheel end.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  5. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Only a month huh ....why rush into it !

6. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    How come over the course of a month you haven't been able to get the situation taken care of?

lilillill and bzinger Thank this.
  7. Vaso.L

Vaso.L Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2014
    South Holland,IL
    well i thought the hub is filled with oil,i was checking it often to see if there is friction that could cause any bigger issue.I wasnt familiar with this tiremaax system because i had 2006 wabash before and i was on 1.5yr break until recently.

8. WrenchyMcwrench

WrenchyMcwrench Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2017
    It’s not Oil bath or you would’ve lost your duals 29 3/4 days ago. Put a cap on it before DOT puts you OOS. It must not be your trailer or you probably would’ve fixed it when it happened. Only can haulers (intermodal) get away with that stuff.

bzinger Thanks this.
  9. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    I don’t get some of you guys. I know you have a 120$ To replace a broken part. Especially in a months work you had to of gotten paid at least 3 times already. Replace it and get it over with

HalpinUout and bzinger Thank this.
  10. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    A month ago, you probably only needed a window kit, which is just those 6 torx screws, install a new window and gasket. After a month, that grease is contaminated and you should pull the hub off, clean and check the bearings, new seal and new grease. The longer you wait, the more expensive it will get.

SAR, AModelCat, rollin coal and 2 others Thank this.
  11. Vaso.L

Vaso.L Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2014
    South Holland,IL
    just called utility dealer in orlando and they say they only sell whole hub cap,no window kit.
    Should be fixed today,400 miles after first post hub is still same temperature as other ones after driving 65mph.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.