2015 579 MX 13 surge tank issues

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by FdEF, Mar 27, 2019.

1. FdEF

FdEF Light Load Member

Dec 5, 2017
    Ogden, Ut
    Anybody else have problems with these stupid surge tanks and the coolant level sensor. This particular truck has had three surge tanks in the last six months. Some how the tank stops sending a signal to the sensor and although the tank is full, the truck shuts down thinking it's empty. I've tried changing sensors and plugs but the only thing that ever works is putting a new surge tank on and they aren't cheap. Any ideas what may be causing these to fail. Maybe this truck emits some weird magnetic signal that demagnatizes the surge tank? I'm at a loss

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    You using OEM reservoir or aftermarket? Grime in tank usually causes float to stick. If you trust your driver, a magnet taped to the sensor works too.

4. FdEF

FdEF Light Load Member

Dec 5, 2017
    Ogden, Ut
    Using OEM but with paccar I'm not sure that's any better than aftermarket anymore.

5. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Every paccar mx13 I’ve driven and a bunch of friends have low coolant codes in cool weather upon startup unless you overfill it .

Oxbow, spsauerland and Goodysnap Thank this.
  6. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    I agree there is a fine line between the cold full line and when the light comes on. Not much give there. I also will fill them chock full and they always have room to expand without pushing out any excess. Near impossible to overfill.

spsauerland and magoo68 Thank this.
  7. JohnC123

JohnC123 Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2018
    Just a thought, try a dab of RTV on new sensor when installed or zip tie. Had 2 where heavier than normal vibration (damper) caused the "placement nubs" to wear more than normal allowing then sensor to drop down over time and give false "low" reading even though the tank was good.

8. O/O21yrs

O/O21yrs Bobtail Member

May 20, 2013
    I have a 2019 T680 with the same problem. I hacked a solution to the problem with a magnet and 2022 version of baling wire. All alarm lights and sounds are off and truck runs fine. Just do your precheck and eyeball the antifreeze reservoir, keep an eye on your engine temperature gauge and use your nose to sniff out any antifreeze odor. You don't need no stinking low coolant sensor. Pics are attached.

Attached Files:

9. O/O21yrs

O/O21yrs Bobtail Member

May 20, 2013
    I have a 2019 T680 with the same problem. I hacked a solution to the problem with a magnet and 2022 version of baling wire. All alarm lights and sounds are off and truck runs fine. Just do your precheck and eyeball the antifreeze reservoir, keep an eye on your engine temperature gauge and use your nose to sniff out any antifreeze odor. You don't need no stinking low coolant sensor. Pics are attached.

Attached Files:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.