2016 579 clutch will not fully disengage/drags

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by scoobertdoo, Nov 24, 2022.

1. scoobertdoo

scoobertdoo Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2020
    Recently when I came to a light, I noticed my clutch was grabbing, even with the pedal to the floor.
    Assuming it was the master cylinder I replaced it... Somehow it is slightly better, but still dragging.

The clutch never slips.

Could it be that my clutch material has come apart a bit, maybe a rivet failing?

Something else?

I have never had a clutch brake on the truck, it was worn out before I got it, could this maybe be in there falling apart? My local small truck shop said it looks wet inside the inspection plate?

How many hours it is to replace the clutch disc?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    It’s new clutch time. Dampening springs break or come dislodged and cause the clutch to drag. Can be intermittent in the beginning.

Replacement times vary, but average shop time for clutch replacement is around 8-12 hours when done correctly.

Rideandrepair and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  4. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Sounds like another self adjusting clutch headache.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. Diesel Dave

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    @Goodysnap , what the life on those self adjusting clutches?

6. Goodysnap

Jul 12, 2017
    They do not tolerate lack of use especially up here in the rust belt. I have seen the adjustment mechanisms froze up and will not adjust as early as 200k. Rarely do they pass 500k. TMC runs them and I have seen some make it to 7-800.

Rideandrepair and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  7. Diesel Dave

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I had one in my 2014, it acted up several times, didn’t know it was a self adjusted clutch, never knew that made one. Was told just go with it. Anyways, when my synchros went out, told them to throw that clutch away and replaced with a REAL clutch, Eaton easy pedal 2050.

8. scoobertdoo

Nov 11, 2020
    So there are options besides the paccar clutch?

9. Goodysnap

Jul 12, 2017
    Paccar doesn’t make the clutch. Get genuine Eaton. But you can get a solo or manual adjust.

You will have to keep tabs on the adjustment with a manual on your 579. Can’t feel the free play with the hydraulic clutch. They did come with both from the factory as options.

Oxbow and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  10. scoobertdoo

Nov 11, 2020
    Is the clutch universal like the transmission adapter plate, like an ASE #1 or something?

11. Goodysnap

Jul 12, 2017
    The clutches are all similar as in 2” - 10 spline double disc pull type. There are wide range of torque and part numbers for engine torque and trans application. Best to look up and cross from OE or look up from the part number off old clutch to match.Any good parts house should be able to cross solo to manual numbers for the same clutch.

Oxbow, Diesel Dave and scoobertdoo Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.