2016 DD15 - 4364 FM18 and 5246 FMI0

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Eaglewing, Dec 7, 2022.

1. Eaglewing

Eaglewing Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2022
    Hi all,

I have a 2016 DD15 with 693k miles. Last night she lit up like a Christmas tree; displaying the following two codes and message:

SPN 4364 FMI 18
    SPN5246 FMI 0
    engine derage 25%
    DEF Quality poor, Check DEF

Red Stop Engine light Was on as well, DEF light was blinking but couldn’t force regen.

truck limited me to 5mph

I cleaned out the DEF injector, which had DEF build up, and placed it back, still didn’t change. Called Loves over to me, and the technician said everything looked good in the computer but he couldn't clear the codes. I saw a truck shops near me and started heading over, but as I was driving 5 mph, I started going downhill and got to about 40 mph, at which point there was a loud noise underneath the truck and the lights all disappeared, and the truck began to gain speed. I’m on my way to delivery right now, late but thankful that I didn’t have to get towed.

Anyone have any idea what it could be?

3 months ago I took it to Freightliner because it kept forcing me to regen and I had the check engine lights on, they found large building up in the mixing chamber and performed a DEF awning. Set me back $3k. The truck ran for a bit but then started giving me the check engine lights and derating the truck. I thought maybe it’s the DPF filters, so At about 685k I changed the two DPF filters because the truck kept having to regen, about 3 weeks ago. It worked just fine the past two weeks.

this time, I’m driving through VA with about 40k lbs in the trailer, and the truck was fighting up the hills before it sedated and all the lights came on.

Any ideas as to what the problem could be?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SWM_TECH

SWM_TECH Light Load Member

Apr 15, 2018
    SPN4364/FMI18 "SCR NOx Conversion Efficiency Low"
    Worst case is a failed 1-box! But you need to test for cheaper causes of the fault.
    Like contaminated DEF, improper concentration of urea in the DEF, biased Nox sensors, excessive DEF build up in in the SCR mixing chamber, over temperature in aftertreatment system, improper DPF maintenance.
    Any air management faults, EGR faults and fuel system faults should be fixed first.
    Probably not practical to solve yourself without Diagnostic Link. I am seeing about 32 steps in diagnostic process to solve this fault. I would recommend you going to a reputable truck repair shop that works on Detroit Diesel engines.

4. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Yes that’s the early signs of a worn out One-Box, right number of miles too.
    It’s more likely to happen when the engine is working hard, such as climbing hills.

5. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    The dealership had to have it apart to install the awning. Also, the OP said he had the DPF's changed. They should have seen evidence of any burn through or if the DOC's were pushed in.

Sounds more like a bad NOX sensor to me, but it will take watching a regen with DDDL to find out.

6. Eaglewing

Eaglewing Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2022
    Like Antinomian said, when they installed the DEF awning they had to remove the DPF filters and look at the DOC as well. When I replaced the DPF filters myself two months later (the truck sat for about a month after they installed the DEF awning), the DOC filters looked like they were in good condition (pictures attached below for reference).

Attached Files:

7. Eaglewing

Eaglewing Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2022
    I changed the DPF filters myself, you can look at the DOCs in the images I'm attaching below. I ended up replacing the DEF Metering unit (AKA DEF doser, DEF injector) on the side of my Onebox as well, and replaced my DEF filter with a new one. The old one (pictures of old DEF filter attached) looked like absolute crap, which makes me believe the previous owner never serviced the DEF Filter.

Attached you can see my old DEF metering unit/doser and the port on the one box with DEF leakage.

Attached Files:

8. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    The DDDL software has a procedure for testing the flow rate of the DEF pump. If both the doser and the filter were clogged the pump might be weak now. Also, the line from the DEF pump to the doser is heated. Sometimes the heater coil fails. And as I said before, it could be a bad NOX sensor.

Running a regen while monitoring with DDDL is the best way to find clues.

Keep an eye out for soot marks by the vent slots on the one box housing. If you don't get the DPF filters sealed properly then you can have poor NOX conversion, which can cause the poor DEF quality code.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
    QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  9. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    The DOC can “look” good, but the catalyst still wears out rendering them ineffective.

QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.