2016 Ford F 150

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by wolverine11, Jan 21, 2017.

1. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Bought a new 2016 Ford F 150 with the all aluminum body, what would be my best option for mounting a cb antenna? In my 2005 truck I always used the Wilson 1000 magnet mount and got excellent results but Im guessing the mag mount wont work on aluminum. Any feedback would be much appreciated, I did ask a guy in a CB shop ( wont mention which one) and he kinda scratched his head and didnt offer a reply.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Well, was hoping a forum member here has had experience mounting a cb antenna on these new Fords, they have been out since 2015. Did some searches online , and as usual, there is contrasting information available, that is why I posted thread. Some say aluminum is a good ground plane, others say differently, guess I will seek out a reputable cb tech and see what advice he can offer.

4. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I'd drill the appropriate sized hole right in the middle of the roof and mount a Wilson 1000. If not that you might make a 'L' shaped bracket for the front fender. I haven't had much luck mounting an antenna on the bed of any late model truck. If you bond all four corners of the bed to the frame it might work.

rabbiporkchop and wolverine11 Thank this.
  5. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    i had a 2008 Ford F150, what i did was get an antenna that stick to the back window and the coax end also glued to the inside window and they could signal to each other wirelessly. The antenna was only about a foot long but i liked it because I could fold it down to back into the garage.

6. BTShepp

BTShepp Blue Demon

Oct 31, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    How far was your range? EDIT: I can't imagine it was very far. Probably similar to a hand held rubber ducky? Sure 1 foot is bigger, but lots of loss through the glass. When I was new to CB, I thought that was a good option-- no drilling to mount. Fortunately, I quickly discovered the magnet mount antenna. Complete use of coaxial cable *and* RF coupling to the metal vehicle.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  7. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I would drill a hole right in the middle of the roof preferably right behind a dome light where you would have easy access to it.
    I would disassemble the dome light and see if you have a single layer of sheet metal behind it.
    Otherwise you might be stuck having to remove the whole interior just to get the headliner out to drill a hole somewhere else.
    I put a Wilson 5000 roof mount on a 2002 Chevy Avalanche and it was pretty much a five-minute job and all I had to do was pop the dome light out and pop a hole right through the roof and I fished my coax to the side with a coat hanger and it was pretty much done in 5 minutes without removing any of the interior of the vehicle.
    On my Chevy Tahoe I didn't get so lucky and I had two layers of sheet metal behind my dome light so I had to remove the whole interior of the vehicle including all of the seats just to get my headliner out.
    Needless to say it was an all-day job on the Tahoe

Jazz1 and wolverine11 Thank this.
  8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    What about a headache rack behind the cab, and mounting an antenna on either side of it?

9. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    not going to work worth a #### as Craig noticed on his Freightliner Cascadia. nothing beats a flat sheet of sheet metal directly underneath your antenna

10. Neverready

Neverready Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Pocomoke City, Md.
    I used a fender mount antenna on a Chevy. High noise level coming thru antenna so bonding is next order to see if it will solve that issue. You may have better luck.

11. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Popping a hole right in the middle of the roof for a Wilson roof mount will increase the efficiency so much over a fender mount that it will almost be equivalent to adding a thousand watts to your system without actually doing it

Neverready Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.