2016 freightliner automatic HELP!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TruckingSexy, Mar 14, 2018.

1. TruckingSexy

TruckingSexy Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2017
    so I’m going down I-80 in PA down a mountainside. Nothing major or crazy. I set my engine break down all the way and lightly tapping my breaks to slow my speed as my exit was approaching. My check engine light come on and so does the red stop engine light as well as a consistent beeeeepppppp!!! I pull off to my exit and it stops and the lights go away. What could it have been?

*update* when we started moving from our 30 about a min into leaving, it did the same thing again. Check engine light, stop engine light and loud beeeeeepppp!! After about 30-45 seconds it stopped. No engine brake and no foot brake. Just hitting the gas building speed. I have no idea what this is!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Reason for edit: more info required.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. EddieC83

EddieC83 Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2018
    I'm thinking loose radiator hose

4. EddieC83

EddieC83 Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Something like that... That like doesn't come on for minor issues it could be clogged pistons radiator issues I dunno I'm not a mechanic and only been driving 3 years but had a similar issue in PA in a blizzard I stoped every 5 miles and filled my radiator reservoir.. Horrible experience

TruckingSexy Thanks this.
  5. TruckingSexy

TruckingSexy Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I will look into it!

6. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    Hi,
    Most engine brake works on your exhaust; by restricting it. Could have been the
    combination of your braking, and exhaust brake, could have dropped your RPM's to stall,
    like an airplane with low air-speed stalls. Doesn't necessarily quit, but darn near.
    Did it quit - an you had to re-start, or just smooth out and go away?
    I know when all the bells and whistles happen its chaotic,
    but did you happen to notice the tachometer reading?
    That's my guess; You can try to re-create the situation,
    if and when you get a safe place to experiment.
    A little less engine brake will stop this.

This wouldn't be the big hill right after the 80-380 split going East?

7. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Get a shop to plug in and check the codes. They will be in there. Anything else is simply conjecture.

Dave_in_AZ and magoo68 Thank this.
  8. BZNZOFME

BZNZOFME Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Do you have a Peterbuilt?

9. BZNZOFME

BZNZOFME Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2018
    If so, or anything for that matter, it could be your coolant level is too low...

10. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    In my experience, 99% of the time its a coolant issue. The coolant level sensor sits pretty high in the reservoir tank, and will set off all the bells and whistles if it senses a low coolant condition. That includes a coolant level that is marginal on flat ground where the grade drops the coolant below the sensor.

Get froggy and climb underneath to look for coolant leaks. You may have to remove the front bumper (8 bolts, not hard). Even a very minor leak can lead to big problems. Check every hose and connection, Freightliner gets really cheap on hose clamps.

The other possible issue could be a DPF/SCR issue. The injector likes to clog, especially in cold weather, and the sensors are problematic at best. You may have to pull everything apart and clean it. There are YouTube videos to walk you through, its not actually all that difficult.

If those are NOT the issue, you will need a good mechanic and diagnostic software. That's the point where good diesel techs shine.

11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    If you don't see that the coolant level in the expansion tank on top of the radiator is not at or above the full indicator mark, that's likely the issue.

If so top it off, and keep an eye out for leaks, especially slow leaks that show on the ground on cold mornings after being off all night

TruckingSexy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.