2016 Freightliner Cascadia Evolution Automated Manual Transmission Help

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by X-Country, Apr 24, 2017.

1. X-Country

X-Country Medium Load Member

Mar 27, 2014
    So I have been driving a brand new 2016 Freightliner Cascadia Evolution Automated Manual Transmission truck at my work.

No stick shift or foot clutch pedal.

I've noticed when I go down a grade (Eisenhower or Vail or the other grades heading down towards Denver on I-70), I push the M in to go to Manual Mode (by pushing in on the end of the stick towards the steering wheel) and select the gear I want and put the truck with the jakes on low, but after a few minutes, it starts upshifting on its own even though I'm in Manual Mode, and then of course the truck starts gaining speed and momentum. Thankfully this happened on dry pavement and clear weather conditions. I can only imagine the panic I'd have felt had this been on a snowy or icepacked grade. I'm used to driving a conventional stick shift and clutch manual transmission.

[​IMG]

I've poured over the manual and I can't find anything that relates to my issue.
    https://secure.freightliner.com/new...er's Manuals/new cascadia driver's manual.pdf

and this bulletin as well.

http://cooperfreight.com/clientimages/57483/employee/weather dd12.pdf
    (Against all of my instincts, page 9 of this bulletin says not to use the jakes when descending a grade....?)

I've read the manual and the inclement driving bulletin I linked above and I can't find anything in there about why it would start shifting on its own despite being in manual mode.

Is there something I'm missing? Does it require some sort of specific programming?

Hoping someone with experience can clear this up for me because I am lost and confused here.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Steel Tiger

Steel Tiger Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Those mountains are gonna require more than a low Jake setting. The truck is up shifting to protect itself from blowing up

LloydToo and LoneCowboy Thank this.
  4. X-Country

Mar 27, 2014
    Well that's what my trucking instincts tell me, but that bulletin suggests otherwise and it's throwing me for a loop.

If I leave it in automatic mode, I start picking up too much speed and momentum going down the grade and it tries to keep upshifting to the highest gear. It makes no sense to me.

Attached Files:

5. AtticusRoad

AtticusRoad Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Indiana
    It will never hold the gear you want for more than a few mins unless you hold the paddle in the gear you want. Your company set it like this.

X-Country Thanks this.
  6. X-Country

Mar 27, 2014
    well that's interesting. this truck had no miles on when I got it, and I work for a contractor. Wonder if they set it like that specifically? Or if it came that way from the dealership?

AtticusRoad Thanks this.
  7. fargonaz

fargonaz Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    Holy crap, that has to be the worst spot yet for the shifter. Pretty soon they won't even have a shifter and you won't be able to select manual mode: go, no go, go back.

AtticusRoad and X-Country Thank this.
  8. X-Country

Mar 27, 2014
    I've never been so angry while driving a truck as I was when I drove this overpriced bucket of bolts.

fargonaz Thanks this.
  9. BigTennOTR

BigTennOTR Medium Load Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Tenn
    What were the rpms at when it started to up shift

10. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Use the stronger Jake setting and periodically the service breaks to keep the rpms below 1800. It shouldn't be upshifting on its own

11. AtticusRoad

AtticusRoad Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Indiana
    When I picked mine up it had 16 miles on it. I fought with your exact problem before asking a shop. I've learned to deal with it I guess. Welcome to the auto age lol.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.