2018 Fall - Winter Weather Of Note

Discussion in 'Truckers' Weather & Road Conditions' started by STexan, Oct 7, 2018.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    An interesting and unusual storm complex

C054FD70-15EB-4729-9EFA-11A0DD5419F3.png

#wishfulthinking Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Seems like winter weather is starting a bit earlier than normal, and not just in a few isolated places. Even very minute parts of west Texas are indicating a very slight possibility for 1/4" freezing rain accumulations in the longer term 3 day forecasts [as of 10/13]. These "slight" possibilities forecast 3+ days out don't mean much, but they are an indication of winter weather of consequence getting very close early in the season for such an area.

Point is we're seeing a lot of activity in early and mid October across many areas of the US where we rarely see anything until mid November.

I'm not saying this may be a foreteller of a "bad winter" across much of the US. I'm just saying it's interesting to witness as a "weather observer", and don't be too surprised at most anything that may or may happen later.

WPC Winter Weather Forecasts

day3_pice_gt_25.gif

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Keep up the good work, I started up with current winter storms in 4 regions just this afternoon that has started today, tonight or will crank between 3 and 6 am.

Do you have anything for Goodland Kansas and 200 miles radius of? I expect ice there but your chart does not seem to show any.

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    If you're referring to the image in post 4, that's only a 10% chance for 1/4+ inch ICE accumulation in Day 3.

on the WPC page, I pay most attention to the 4, 8, and 12 inch SNOW maps, and the ICE map [a bit further down in fall months].

But this map is also a great tool as long as you have a desktop on a fast connection
    WPC Probabilistic Winter Precipitation Guidance

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I dealt with A LOT of that nasty wet snow we so see so much of this time of year, running across Montana. I've got to look into heated windshield wipers. I dealt with snowed-up blades for much of the day. Temps were 28-30 degrees all the way across.

Next potential day like today, I'm thinking of trying to spray my wiper arms and blades with WD-40 on one side and ArmorAll on the other to see if either of those helps to repel snow accumulation.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    My connection is adequate. Hardly no packet loss and so on for this area anyhow for me. I moved to a subsidized internet for 10 a month rather than paying 70 a month for it and they upped the speeds to the max. Waiting for Fiber Optic. (I fear 5G will be here before then...)

YOU are way better than I am on ice data at that site, I get lost in the details. I'll pick at it and see what is there, but it's not something that most people can understand, you follow me?

10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    WD 40 is a water repellant.

We used Rain X in our time with the glass on the big rig Century and our personal cars. Wipe the stuff on once in a while and keep cleaning glass, wipe some dribbles and wipe and wipe.. wipe off wipe on... anyhow.

The new rain X wiper blades are on the vehicles as a experiment this winter. We will see. I bought a pair of generic wipers ona they rotted in 3 years with hardly no use on them. I am totally sick of rotting wipers. Maybe these rainX ones will do the job.

Another thought would be gun oil but I don't know if I want that all over the windshield because you know it will get on there.

11. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    We are going to get a blast of focused and noisy storms in the central Arkansas area in a few hours. They have been training straight up I-30 all evening and continue to do so.

You can google LZK and it will show you the link to the Little Rock NWS page for Arkansas.

Temps daytime is 60 highs and Lows Temp 41 with rain through Wed and FOGGY 24/7.

Next two links is USA weather. Icing in West Texas towards New Mexico becomes a possibility among other things

Today, Monday. Yes YOU.
    National Forecast Charts

Tomorrow Tuesday
    National Forecast Charts

On the west coast with the new application of this years first Santa Anna Wind Warning, they expect Humidity to drop to 5% or less in spots.

The STorm Prediction Center has put up a firestorm extreme critical warning for today over there in California. Without further ado:

Oct 14, 2018 Day 1 Fire Weather Outlook

tucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.