2018 Hurricane Season

Discussion in 'Truckers' Weather & Road Conditions' started by STexan, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Swiss Mountain Dog

Swiss Mountain Dog Medium Load Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Texas
    Wonder how much the production at the bread factories is ramping up in preparation for the panic buying?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The typical bakeries bake a certain amount every 24/7 and they cannot bake anymore. The distribution system has a certain finite supply of bread. Once it's gone it's gone for a while. There is one in Landover-Jessup area near DC that bakes bread, and having a whole 53 foot trailer of that stuff plus a case in the cab for us made for a valuable load. It has to be overnight only to stay fresh. It wont keep longer than that and still be considered fresh.

Florence according to NHC is coming into the East Coast. Hatteras Lighthouse will decide where it goes. If it should hit the carolines before it hits that Hatteras then it's going into WVa and NY Buffalo usually. If it hits Hatteras it's coming up the Chesapeake. If it's beyond that Lighthouse northwards then NYC-Long Island has a big problem.

Helene is worth watching. Once it passes the Lewards and gets past Jamaica towards the straits west of Cuba they usually turn north as a major storm getting really monstrous in the gulf. That one will be watched for about oh 2 more weeks. There is 3 more coming off Africa. Issac is the first of these already.

The last time we had a proper hurricane or two we rode them out in Maryland in the 70's, one wrecked the B&O at Ellicott City by flooding and the other was a serious issue for being about a Cat 1 near or through Ocean City. We were on the bay side and took some damage from it. But nothing too wild. There were other storms in trucking along the east coast that were a problem for me but not too bad.

Where I am in Arkansas is good ground for storms. We can take a 8 inch hit and not flood in a afternoon and a 12 to 20 inch hit with the highways closed for a week or two and be fine. No worries. anything bigger than that well.. we don't need to worry about going anywhere anytime that month. There is always food etc. If somehow all the sources of food went away tonight by sunrise, I hae about 20 days on hand and can get to another roughly two months worth in about 20 minutes before the rest of the panic buyers arrive.

4. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Dare county isn't playing around. Which I'm glad to hear. The Outer Banks has become a very special place to me and my family. I've made some great friends while on vacation this past year, and I find myself thinking and worrying about the people in the path of the storm(s).

@Sirscrapntruckalot be safe down there on the sandbar! If ya need a place to crash, come on up to Pennsyltucky, we'll make room for ya!

From Dare County Emergency Management 10:00 a.m. September 10, 2017 A state of emergency has been issued and a mandatory evacuation order for all visitors and residents on Hatteras Island will be in effect beginning Monday, September 10 at 12:00 p.m. This includes all areas of Hatteras Island including the villages of Rodanthe, Waves, Salvo, Avon, Buxton, Frisco and Hatteras Village. A mandatory evacuation for residents and visitors in other areas of Dare County goes into effect beginning Tuesday, September 11 at 7:00 a.m. This includes the towns of Duck, Southern Shores, Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, Nags Head, Manteo; Roanoke Island; and the Dare County mainland. The Dare County Control Group met Monday morning and has determined that a mandatory evacuation for all visitors and residents is necessary to ensure safety. Hurricane Florence is currently projected to be a category 3 or 4 storm at landfall in southeastern North Carolina and may bring l ife-threatening storm surge to Dare County, along with tropical storm force winds, heavy rains and the potential for tornadoes. Even a small northward shift in the track of the storm could bring devastating impacts to our area. Everyone in Dare County is encouraged to evacuate as soon as possible regardless of the established time frames. Visitors should take all personal belongings and follow instructions from their property management company. Those evacuating to areas north of Dare County are encouraged to consider traveling westbound on Highway 64 to Interstate 95. Evacuating through the rural areas to the west of Dare County will help avoid traffic backups and congestion that may prolong evacuation by traveling northbound through the Hampton Roads portion of Virginia. Be sure to check the weather forecast for travel conditions for the route you will be traveling and for your destination. The state of emergency includes restrictions on swimming due to dangerous surf conditions and strong rip currents along the beaches. Everyone must stay out of the water as it is unsafe for even the most experienced swimmers. Bulletins will periodically be issued by the Joint Information Center and the next scheduled update will be no later than 6:00 p.m. Monday. Visit www.darenc.com for updated information, videos, and relevant links to official sources. Due to the current state of emergency, reentry passes are not being issued by Dare County Emergency Management. Non-resident property owners are reminded that permits with an April 1, 2018 expiration date remain valid through December 30. Permanent residents use a valid driver’s license with a Dare County address for reentry. A current tax bill or parcel data sheet with matching current government issued ID will also suffice. To review guidelines, visit www.darenc.com/reentry .

5. Swiss Mountain Dog

Apr 4, 2018
    Texas
    I was just thinking about the 570 horses literally flown into North Carolina for the World Equestrian Games this week. They are all at the Tryon Equestrian facilities in Mill Springs. These are horses worth hundreds of thousands of dollars each from around the world. These games are the most important competition for the long list placements for the 2020 Olympic Games.

rbrtwbstr Thanks this.
  6. Phenomenal

Phenomenal Light Load Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
    Sea temps on the path to landfall only help intensify. Former director of NHC Dr McNabb says Cat 5 possible.

7. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Do not stress about the Animals. I used to work a breeding farm before trucking after highschool around people who were so rich that they built a daily life comparing this filly and that colt to each other. It's a game to them. Sort of a giant parlor tea. If they truly care for those horses, they can darn well hitch up a trailer and come fetch the beasts and haul them to good ground. God knows they still have until about midnight tonight to get it done. Piss on that fancy shindig.

In my time if it was necessary to get the animals out of harms way, we simply opened the paddock and let them go. They have spray numbers on their backs so that when the situation is all calmed down the phone calls will come in and we go fetch em. Im pretty sure others use the same thing. Horses know how to handle themselves on open country. Not shut up in a fancy million dollar barn waiting for a storm to drown them and the 200 dollar a week stable hand assigned to muck em.

I hate to be difficult. I love horses and frankly I think it's a form of abuse. Used to be a little stable up in Harpers Ferry WVa where you could take one out for a while and they were mountain horses born and bred for the rocky hills we rode em on with good pastures for them to rest in for next time. Best of times. The rich don't know what they are missing. Sometimes with the right horse I actually learned from them believe it or not.

We are beef cattle here and there in this state backed by hay. Alot of it. It's rather small compared to the big beef out west but they do well. Even a few horses too. None of that novous Rich bs.

Swiss Mountain Dog Thanks this.
  9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I’m getting sick and tired of the reporting of this storm. Practically every story to be found on the web finds a way to interject the idea that what is about to happen in the Carolinas is modern mankind’s fault. And if only we pay more taxes, and/or feel guilty, and/or stop breathing, future hurricanes and flooding will come to an end

[​IMG]

It’s all about the history of now. Disregard the fact biblical flooding and cat 4 and 5 hurricanes have been affecting the US for all of recorded history.

If you want to state historical facts, you are a mankind-caused climate change denier :biggrin_25523:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    Swiss Mountain Dog Thanks this.
  10. Swiss Mountain Dog

Apr 4, 2018
    Texas
    Having been in the pro Dressage world for many years, I can tell you those riders and grooms love those horses. But this particular group is from around the world - Argentina, Greece, France, Dubai, England, Spain, Germany and Australia.

The World Equestrian Games are essentially a mini Olympics. They fly in a week before the games, compete for 2 weeks in multiple disciplines and then fly home. There are limited facilities that are capable of housing 570 horses and an average of 3 people per horse on a good day. My hope is that they are transporting them to the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    mjd4277 and Swiss Mountain Dog Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.