2018 Kenworth T680 fifth wheel won't release kingpin

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Rascal94, Feb 28, 2020.

1. 91B20H8

91B20H8 Road Train Member

Oct 17, 2012
    The Heart of the North, Mi
    Lift the release handle and move it slightly forward

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dove

Dove Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2019
    IL
    I had exactly the same issue and new to me 2 weeks ago. I just did the opposite of everything I've ever done in the past in a different truck. I set my tractor brake, not my trailer, jump out pull the pin, then set trailer brakes and continue the drop process with landing gear & lights.
    But ABSOLUTELY TRUE. No pressure on those jaws or they won't open. I still hold my breathe when i pull that hook. At least for now.

4. Lockport

Lockport Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Lockport, MB, CAN
    Typically this happens at midnight after driving 11 hours with a hot shower and spaghetti waiting at home. I spent half an hour with it the other day. Tried reversing against the trailer, dropping the air, etc. This is a new truck for me but I found with my old truck if I didn't set the trailer brakes and pull the pin before dropping the landing gear it works bind. In any event, eventually I applied the trailer brakes and pulled on it. Then set the parking brakes on truck and trailer. Then I lowered the landing gear and then I dropped the tractor air. When I did that I heard what sounded like a small metal plate dropping into another piece of metal. Then it released effortlessly.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.