2018 Rookie Pay question

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by sam3106, Apr 22, 2018.

1. sam3106

sam3106 Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Hello Everyone,
    This is my very first post! My question has been asked before but from passed years.I am a veteran and currently paying for my CDL with my gi bill(it means I'm getting it for free) and plan on being an A class driver OTR. My questions are
    1.Since I'm getting my CDL in a school before joining a company does this give me any advantage on getting a better pay vs someone who gain there cdl through a company ?If so is it a huge difference?
    2.I plan on being out for 5-8 weeks if possible at a time so what is a realistic amount of pay I should expect per week After Taxes and all other expenses beside food(I know how to be cheap with food;))?
    3.Do I use a gas card or can I use my credit card and receive free points?
    4.I'm a night owl so would I make more driving at night, as in getting more miles since people are usually off the road?
    Thank you for your help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. I glide 47

I glide 47 Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Starting pay depends on experience company furnished fuel card but loyalty points from truck stop chain are yours night driving doesn't pay any more but less traffic is true

4. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    1. The only advantage is that you aren't locked into a contract (also known as indentured slavery for some megas) that requires you pay for your training if you decide to break the contract and leave early (which you likely will want to do after being treated like garbage).

2. You'll likely be making 35-40 cents per mile out of school. With inexperience you'll likely be running less than a full day of miles, day or night, for the first several months. Depending on what sector you get into, assuming lowest average pay, you'll be grossing $700-850 a week for 2000 miles. And this is if you get a "good" week. Companies don't tend to give the nice runs to the people lowest on the ladder. You'll likely be getting 1500 miles a week at some megas if you are lucky. And you won't be getting paid to sit at the dock or waiting for a reload.

3. Most companies use fuel cards these days, and often, aside from the real horrible places, they'll let you keep and use any rewards points you get (I've heard of stories where companies will take a driver's rewards points). It's a great way to get stuff for free at truck stops. Always best to save up.

4. You might be a night owl, but unless you are doing pin-to-pin work, or working for a company that picks up for and delivers to 24-hour distribution centers, you will have a hard time making your appointments (a lot of flatdeck customers are open 7am-5pm, M-F for instance). The only advantage to driving nights is the lower amounts of traffic on the road, but it comes with a trade-off, night is when wildlife comes out onto the roads and it becomes a hazard for you and the truck. A moose or big buck could put an end to your run for the day very quickly.

5. sam3106

sam3106 Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Thank you very much for this.
    As far as question two goes, what do you mean about which sector. I would be in the new England area.
    I thought it was a great need for truck drivers. why would the give me bad runs(not sure what a good or bad run is). Also the give me only 1500 miles and I'm done in 3 days what are they going to have me do just sit there and weight for days.

6. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Sector is things like flatbed, van, reefer, tanker, LTL, linehaul, OTR, etc.

sam3106 Thanks this.
  7. RSB34

RSB34 Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2013
    ny.
    You may very well sit for days. Otr don't really pay better than regional you just get more rest and see more of the country. You could not pay me enough to do otr.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.