2018 Spring Storm Season Officially Under Way

Discussion in 'Truckers' Weather & Road Conditions' started by STexan, Mar 17, 2018.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Monday the 19th is drawing the most attention of the chaser community

day3otlk_0730.gif

4. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    March through June are big months for severe weather activity,in particular tornadoes. And it looks like Dixie Alley is in the crosshairs, specifically Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, parts of Tennessee and Florida.

5. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    bzinger Thanks this.
  6. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Which town? Of the towns hit by the storm Murphysboro,Illinois was the hardest hit because of the death toll-234 people were killed,a good portion of them were schoolchildren. Gorham,Parrish, De Soto and Griffin,Indiana were almost all but destroyed (Parrish was never rebuilt).

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Arkansas already am on watch for tornado season, we are just cranking up now.

Had a pair of EF4's pass not too many miles away a few years back wrecking several towns. Those were rather unwelcome.

People who never had a tornado will understand them at 200-240 mph sustained when the hardwood trees lose all branches, and the very bark is peeled down to bare wood inside clean. And the very grass is trenched about a foot or two down along with the dirt under the vortex itself.

Things get stressful for me when TWO tornados form after one gets too big for it's own good and begins a second closeby to dump the excess energy. I rather not be around so I point the tractor trailer south and step on it, out of routes and fuel be ######.

That is not the only excitement this year. The New Madrid has been loading for centuries. We think maybe sometime in the summer it might snap. If it does We don't expect to survive. The main thing is that memphis and st louis are lost pernamently and that the I40 bridge along with three major bridges that have strength might still stand. If they do not fall then the east coast will still have trucks for food, fuel etc. If they do fall, then east coast from Erie-Birmingham East to the atlantic from Maine to Miami will suffer famine that cannot be reversed. It would take 3 months to replace the major bridges.

8. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    The folks in the city of Moore,Oklahoma can tell you about that firsthand. The first killer tornado to strike the city on May 3rd,1999 is in the record books for have the highest wind speeds ever recorded on Earth! An anemometer placed directly in the tornado’s path and a DOW (Doppler On Wheels) vehicle recorded a wind speed of a whopping 301 mph! Shortly after the recording the tornado took the anemometer,it was never recovered. That tornado was powerful enough to scour concrete and lift asphalt from the road,let alone suck up topsoil.

1999 Bridge Creek–Moore tornado - Wikipedia

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    St Louis and Memphis aren’t the only cities that would be affected. Indianapolis,Chicago,Little Rock would definitely suffer some damage. Basically anything within 300 miles of that fault line is going to feel its effects.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    At those speeds you have to be underground. Anyone caught above ground will be killed or shredded.

The one tornado that gets me is the one that hit the Bruces Texaco truckstop in east tulsa. It apparently lifted the two story concrete block building and twisted it and set it back down. Drivers then were killed in the trucks in the parking area below the hill. There is a memorial there to this day.

Another ripped a nearby town Jan 21 1999, that one trashed and destroyed a entire school complex and then hopped over one man's two story home. He lost a couple shingles... and proceeded into town killing several and erasing like 80+ homes. The military blocked it off for almost a week. You had to be a resident via drivers license to be allowed through because whole houses were in the road in parts of the city.

I was in kansas city that day, with my girlfriend on the phone, we both heard the thing pass by. At that time it missed us not too far. Dispatch had us in the white county the next day, logs be darned.

I got a job later on after marriage locally in the county for heavy equiptment and concrete running. I poured for that school complex about 5 months among other places in the area building it new.

One of the engineers were asked why they were building a identical new one, if it will be destroyed by the next storm? They shrugged and said insurance will take care of that like always. I understand that district and several others built FEMA bunkers for 1000 souls or more so that they will have some protection.

My favorite jobs were pouring Grissom storm shelters along highway 64 to Conway. 14 ton steel and concrete casements capable of withstanding a small nuclear blast some miles away. Some of those have survived the EF4 that swept vilonia twice in good order. So I pat myself on the back for mixing that concrete good. You could put 10 souls down one of them. (And a hound or two... if all of them inhales...) Ive got a few pictures around, I'll convert em to scanner and put em up eventually.

dan31186 and mjd4277 Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There is a simulation some years ago that showed what the quake waves at 8.0 would do. Unfortunately 5 traveled down US 67 straight to Little Rock. the third and fourth were the worst.

Casulties in Little Rock are expected to be 40000 dead out of 150000. White County has 80000, we expect around roughly 15000 dead and two times that hurt bad. The hospitals would be destroyed. (UAMS and VA both because they are brick.) I don't expect to survive the event.

My biggest were a few quakes at between 3.2 on the east coast in the 80's to a few 4.4's in CA and one 5.1 that rocked it pretty good in that semi out there. If it's a 8.0? HA... shoot me.

There are only 5000 sworn LEOS in Arkansas. And maybe round 44 medical lift helicopters and about 200 hospitals, most of them community type ER's with a bit of oxygen, blankets and a few pain needles. Nothing higher in terms of trauma and ICU life support will survive. There are only about 15000 burn beds east of the entire Mississippi and maybe 20000 more in the entire West of the USA. There will be expected to be about 60000 burn cases in Arkansas alone. Most will die within a few minutes to a week without care. (Gas lines, distributions break, fire storms result and many people on oxygen at home etc. Kablooey.)

There is a horrible joke that goes around, Autozone built a earthquake proof HQ in Memphis next to I-40 and crowed about how that place will survive anything. That's great. But the workforce to man it will all be killed so that's that.

What I worry about is Yellowstone. A few articles coming out of there where inactive big springs such as steamboat has begun to vent steam to 400 feet up in the air again. If that thing goes, well... nice knowing ya all.

dan31186 and mjd4277 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.