2019 Freightliner Coronado mirror brackets & SWR 2.5 vs 1.5

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by NYSuperTrucker, Apr 8, 2019.

1. NYSuperTrucker

NYSuperTrucker Light Load Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Twin Cities MN
    Here is my slight dilemma. I'm running a Galaxy DX959 and a Wilson 2000 antenna. I adjusted the antenna at home, on my pickup truck to get somewhat close to a decent SWR. When I was done at home, I was 1.3 on Channel 1 and 1.6 on 40. When I got down to the 2019 Coronado day cab, and I mounted it on the mirror bracket, I was 2.5 on Channel 1 and 3+ on 40. Eeeeeek I said. That's not good. I only run weekends, so the next weekend I decide to bring all my tools and whatnot to the shop. Mechanic comes out and hears me making noise, and ultimately tells me the Coronado mirror brackets and doors are all aluminum.

So I decide to mount the antenna on the back bracket that holds the air lines and light cords, after a little adjusting of the length of the antenna, I was able to get my SWR down to 1.5 on Ch1 and 1.6 on Ch40.

What are your thoughts...hang it up and call it a day, I can't get any better than that....or Can I?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Finfn1372

Finfn1372 Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Greenville,NC
    That's not bad,think I was getting a little under that when I had my freightliner cascadia.Was using a firestik out on a birdperch.

4. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Those are fine numbers. The theoretical loss of RF signal strength is 4%, so no one will notice and your radio will be happy.

Raise the anchor and set sail.

5. NYSuperTrucker

Dec 22, 2010
    Twin Cities MN
  6. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Slowmover1 and NYSuperTrucker Thank this.
  7. NYSuperTrucker

Dec 22, 2010
    Twin Cities MN
    Thanks sir! I figured that's what I had going on...but I'm far from an expert, eager to learn though.

8. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    As a general rule,
    If the antenna works great on your personal vehicle and Works poorly or does not work on your work truck then the problem is with your work truck itself and not the antenna.
    The other culprit would be the installation.
    A poorly-executed installation will always cause problems quite often antennas get the blame.

Slowmover1 Thanks this.
  9. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Yeap..Your ant is very important...
    Would rather a good antenna set up and a wimpy radio vs a big radio and a have arsed ant set up..
    If your ant is partly blocked by the cab and assumeing your pullin a can or dry box then you may have a decient swr but signal doesnt do as well when it comes to tx/rec...Think of it as a rock in a bucket when it comes to signal strength..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.