2022 Great Dane Dry Van Good Deal?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Crassius, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I probably should have shopped aggressively around the country for units like I did the trailers. I just wanted to get a relationship going with my local TK branch. Never had bought units directly before.

feldsforever and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    It was jan 2015 when I cut the check and picked it up all shiny and new from the factory. Paid $27,500 for a 2016 Great Dane. Sold it a couple of years ago for $21,000. It would probably sell for $30,000+ if I still had it :-/

4. Crassius

Crassius Light Load Member

May 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  5. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    There's no sense in getting tangled up in a bad deal like that. If you've got decent credit you can finance one no problem. Just be patient and look everywhere. And I paid cash in full for that one back in 2015 but that was a mistake. With the next one it's going to be 20% down and finance the rest. I now think it's a bad idea to burn into your cash reserves paying in full for equipment when financing is so cheap and easy to get.

6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’m wishing I’d bought one of your Wabash dry vans last year. My 08 is still good. Have to keep it going. No choice.

7. Crassius

Crassius Light Load Member

May 15, 2013
    [QUOTE=" I now think it's a bad idea to burn into your cash reserves paying in full for equipment when financing is so cheap and easy to get.[/QUOTE]

Excellent point regarding the cost of money today.

I drive by this place.... Truck Mart in PA.... all the time.... Their schtick is arranging crazy high financing to put under capitalized drivers into ex company trucks that are right at the point of costing major money... as bad as lease purchase deals are, a deal from Truck Mart is probably even worse.... If Truck Mart financing is needed, one would be better off taking a year or two to save up some money so you get the kind of financing a successful person like Rollin' Coal can access.

8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    This thread got Me looking online last night for Trailers. Very few even advertised. Their just not out there. Best thing I could find were some 07-08’s for 17k-22k. That’s the best. Just goes to show, you never know what’s going to happen in this Business. Things change very fast.

9. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Sold a bunch of my 08's-10's. Dealer is paying good money, could get more from private sales nut i don't have to deal with a bunch of idiots with no money, want me to finance them ect

mp4694330, Crassius and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  10. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    I got one almost exactly the same last September for $37k

This coming September I’m picking up another 2022 but with stainless nose and doors for $40k.

$55k…

86scotty, Crassius and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  11. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Excellent point regarding the cost of money today.

I drive by this place.... Truck Mart in PA.... all the time.... Their schtick is arranging crazy high financing to put under capitalized drivers into ex company trucks that are right at the point of costing major money... as bad as lease purchase deals are, a deal from Truck Mart is probably even worse.... If Truck Mart financing is needed, one would be better off taking a year or two to save up some money so you get the kind of financing a successful person like Rollin' Coal can access.[/QUOTE]

Lol, I'm not killing it by most people's standards but I do just fine by my own needs. Even if a person has marginal credit they are way better off seeking financing thru a traditional bank rather than paying used truck lot sharks 10%, 20% or even more in interest.

Rideandrepair and Crassius Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.