2022 pete 389 with Cummins X 15 High Idle

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by towtrucker, May 18, 2023.

1. towtrucker

towtrucker Light Load Member

Mar 25, 2012
    boston ma
    Hopefully someone has dealt with this issue and can let me know what got it resolved. The best way I can describe the issue is that the truck is doing ghost regens while driving. You will come off the higheay bring the truck to a stop, the idle will be at 800rpm the tourge is usually around 19% and the boost is at 5 lbs. Same numbers when it's doing an actual regen. There are 3 things different from this vs a regular regen.
    1 the high temp exhaust light does not come on
    2 it will do this before the truck has warmed up.
    3 none of these are being recorded by the ecm as REGENS.
    The issue will continue until I get a long ,heavy load. It will usually stop after the first day and then it's good till a day or two after the trip. Then the whole thing starts again. The truck has been to Pete, and Cummins but both times it was not acting up. They did a complete download of the ECM and said they could not find any issues and that the REGENs were about every 100 to 150 hrs. Truck has 160,000 miles currently problem startted about a year ago. Also it has the new digital dash and " smart " switches. I've had a bunch of issues with the switches not working and having to be reprogrammed so my suspicion is the regen switch may be the problem but I have no way to prove it. It has been reprogrammed twice since this issue started with no change in the problem either time. Any help would be Greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    The first half of your post I quoted is normal. It’s not an actual regen..called something else that I can’t remember..
    My 2023 and 21 I had would do the same however only lasted for about 15 minutes. Has something to do with heating up the DPF filter.

Would do it after a few hours idling. In traffic when it’s on and a pia it could be disabled via the regen switch.

Like I said, mine only does it for about 15 minutes and then back to normal. Yours sounds like it stays on forever.

I’m not much of a help in your situation but, I would probably park it at the dealership and let it idle until it comes back on. May take a few hours for it to activate though.

4. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    it is completely normal.. called a passive regen.. your truck is regenning while you're driving but you wont know it until you come to a stop and hear the turbo spooling up and elevated rpms, which is what you are hearing.. if you know your truck very well and you have an instant mpg meter you can also tell when its doing the passive regen by seeing the fuel mileage down a little bit from normal while u are driving... this is completely normal operation..

5. towtrucker

Mar 25, 2012
    boston ma
    For 3000 miles non stop ?
    It's at the dealer now they are going try a couple of simple things if no change a rep from Cummins is being sent down.
    At least the problem was active when I got to the dealer for once.

Siinman Thanks this.
  6. towtrucker

Mar 25, 2012
    boston ma
    Well the truck is in the shop. They are going to try a couple of easy things. If no luck they are going to send a rep from Cummins in. I'll update when i get it back. Thanks for the responses

Siinman and Concorde Thank this.
  7. towtrucker

Mar 25, 2012
    boston ma
    Update,
    I took the truck back to the dealer, this time the high idle issue was present.
    Truck has been at the dealer for a week and this is what they have come up with,
    1, new DPF filter
    2, all 6 injectors replaced
    3, overhead done, check exhaust valve clearances
    4, check for any air in fuel system ( none found)
    The theory is that there is unburned fuel getting to the filter. This is increasing the temp of the exhaust and clogging the filter and causing the truck to go into a soot burning mode. This is new for 22 apparently and what they think was going on.
    So, now we have parked regen, driving regen, and soot burning mode. From what I can see, the only difference between regen while driving and soot burning is no high exhaust temp indicator with soot burning. Should have the truck back tonight or tomorrow. I'll update in a week or so and see if we are good to go. Thanks to thise who responded.

Ssgtkevin, Tadakatsu, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Wow.. Sounds like they threw parts at it... if there is unburned fuel getting to the filter. Nothing they replaced supports that thesis. on the 2350 and 2250 Cummins there is an injector on the exhaust side of turbo right next to the nox sensor that injects fuel into the exhaust. I know these injectors get clogged up with soot and have to be cleaned routinely or replaced and when they get clogged they have issues during regen and help clog the dpf faster .. I don't know if that is still present on the x15 or not but it's the first place I would've looked.. let us know what happens. Hopefully you are not the one paying the bill... those injectors are what $1800 a piece ?

Tadakatsu and towtrucker Thank this.
  9. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Time to change to a Volvo! No issues like that at all!

towtrucker and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  10. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    @Midwest Trucker any of your Kenworths with the Cummins X15 have these kind of issues?

11. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    On the X15 fuel injector #6 takes the place of "7th injector"

towtrucker, Siinman and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.