21K fine for overweight truck on the bridge in Naperville, IL

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by martinkandera, Feb 9, 2017.

1. martinkandera

martinkandera Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2017
    Hi,
    Can anyone advise on my situation. I was on a regular truck route in Naperville, IL and after turning right on intersection to Washington Blvd. there was a weight limit 15 tons. I was already on that street and couldn't turn around. I decided to keep going thinking that I am still fine because there was also truck route sign. Truckers from my company regularly go to this street because they are filling up a Shell gas station right there ( which is before the bridge). But there was a tiny bridge that I crossed and State police was right after the bridge, they pull out their scale and I got 21K fine! That "Truck Route" was very misleading but police didn't want to talk about it. I called few attorneys but their fees are ridiculous like 30% of the reduced amount. Can anybody advise me on this or was in similar situation. I will greatly appreciate it!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    Next time stop and call law enforcement for assistance. 21K is a hefty price for that lesson. If you can't find a lawyer to represent you I'd show up to court and beg the judge for mercy.

The Big T and martinkandera Thank this.
  4. IH Truck Guy

IH Truck Guy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Purgatory
    Make sure you have pictures of all the signage in the area to help your case.

x1Heavy, NavigatorWife, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  5. belowspeedlimit

belowspeedlimit Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Oil country
    Should of offered the copper a couple thousand cash. It would of disappeared.

tucker and martinkandera Thank this.
  6. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    What truck route were you on 75th street or Ogden Ave? Both have signs clearly posted that you should have seen immediately indicating a 15 ton bridge limit ahead.

bigkev1115, not4hire and martinkandera Thank this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Signage does have a habit of appearing and re-appearing and that's no joke. Certain roads, etc. are used as cash cows for some small towns and small police forces.
    Used to even happen in Nashville with "no-parking" spots. They would put canvas bags over the signs, then when someone would park there, remove the bag to show the "no-parking" sign. Now you have a huge ticket plus a tow bill. It was so lucrative that on weekends, out of state towing companies would be prowling the streets of Nashville with their canvas bags.

8. martinkandera

Feb 9, 2017
    I was going from east on 75th to Washington St. On 75th street is no weight limit sign, it is only on Washington. As I mentioned, we go on Washington regularly to deliver gas to the Shell gas station. So I didn't see a problem with that. The problem was that I had to continue on Washington pass the gas station ( where are truck route signs heading north) but I didn't know where the tiny bridge was until I was very close by and I had no other chance then continue. Right before the bridge there was a 15ton limit sign but that was too late. Since there was a truck route signage, I thought that there will be "truck route" to go around the bridge.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. albert l

albert l Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2013
    On the Road
  10. martinkandera

Feb 9, 2017
    Thanks for your replies. I am asking for advice or if anyone was in similar situation? 21K fine for wrong turn is ridiculous amount.

11. albert l

albert l Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2013
    On the Road
    You make a wrong turn, then call the police
    Proceed over the restriction and take on the risk associated with it

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.