22.5 tires to 17.5 tires.

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by AZheavyhaul, May 29, 2023.

1. AZheavyhaul

AZheavyhaul Bobtail Member

May 29, 2023
    I have a Kailyn Siebert 16 tire trailer with the 22.5 tires. Just bought a Murray with 17.5 and can load over the back with it. I’d like to do the same with the Siebert but not sure what all goes into doing the conversion. Obviously new brakes, rims and tires, but would I need to change the axles or spindles? Has anyone done this before? What all goes into it? If so have you had any problems after converting it with the geometry of the trailer and the new tire?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Having run 22.5 and 17.5 trailers and working on them, I think the axles and spindles are the same. You will for sure have to change your spiders and pretty much all of the brake system.

Next thing you do is become friends with the Continental tire salesman, because you’ll either be buying a set of Continental 17.5 tires or dealing with weekly blowouts in the summer.

Unless you just must have the low ride height 17.5 offers, I’d stay with 22.5. We run them on Landolls and must have the low height, but they can be a pain. Besides the blowouts (which you can greatly reduce running Continentals), they wear quick compared to 22.5. Always carry a spare, because replacements can be hard to find out on the road.

cke, D.Tibbitt, exhausted379 and 2 others Thank this.
  4. badvik_83

badvik_83 Light Load Member

Mar 11, 2023
    I'll need to replace my 275/80 22.5 in the next couple of weeks. The trailer is 53' CA spread. Still have the original Michelins with the trailer but looking at something more affordable now. In the range of $380 to $450, probably. What'd you recommend? Also, can I sell the Michelins? They're worn but in a good condition.
    p.s. Apologize for the off topic, just didn't want to start a new thread.

5. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    For 22.5 tires, everybody has their favorite brand, but any name brand should service you ok. Just try to stay away from tires made in China and the like. I personally don’t like Michelins, they don’t seem to hold up well with age. We have some trailers that sit a fair amount, seems the Michelins will start weather cracking before others. This doesn’t really matter for people that run all the time, they will wear out before you really have to worry about them cracking.

17.5 is a different matter. It seems Continental is the only manufacturer who makes a decent 17.5.

cke and badvik_83 Thank this.
  6. badvik_83

badvik_83 Light Load Member

Mar 11, 2023
    The weather or early age cracks are like the brand "feature" for them. I owned a tire retreading company several years ago and every Michelin tire I saw had them. It doesn't affect anything in reality but looks really strange. And a five year old one would look like a twenty year tire. Bridges, btw, are subject to such too. Just not that much.
    I ended up with Good Year RSS, my shop offered me them for $430 installed. They're made in Columbia but I still hope they will held. Just a bit confused by such a low price for Good Years

m16ty Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.