23 year veteran trucker fired!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by cmbyrom, Jul 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    well that can change many opinions in all sorts of directions. we want to help, give advice, but if what we offer is of no help for his particular situatiuon, then it is a useless attempt to garner sympathy or support.

of course many others will no matter what bash him for the accident, that was "minor", when it is really known to be something else.

like, was the crash victim taken to the hospital?

was there more than one person in the car, like kids?

are you being sued now by the victim?

you see, by leaving out details, we can only wonder, surmise, assume,(on conjecture) add our own thoughts on what happened, etc,etc.

and usually many of us are spot on.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Finfn1372

Finfn1372 Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Greenville,NC
    How does a someone come on here asking advice turn into a livestock tailgating debate.

OP when I first started driving 9 years ago,had 2 accidents,was forced to come off the road,ended up with a yard dog job.

Thanked the Lord for that job,worked that for a few years,until my record got clean,that might be something he could look into,and he'll be home everyday.

TokyoJoe, FlaSwampRat, x1Heavy and 2 others Thank this.
  4. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    then in the futre, tell him NOT to tell you anything, to grow up, grow a pair and handle it all by himself.

if he's going to "tell you something" he had better fess up REAL QUICK the truth, the whole truth and nothing BUT the truth...

it's far easier to support him, stand beside him knowing 100% of everything, rather than to be blindsided with a court summons, or knock on the door, and the cops presenting him with those pretty shiney wrist bracelets.

the time to contact a lawyer WITH THE FACTS is ASAP...NOT several days, weeks down the road, cuz you got to know, the victim(s) have a bank of lawyers waiting to chew your husband up and spit him out.

that's when it's too late to have your bags packed to get kicked to the curb

Cam Roberts Thanks this.
  5. cmbyrom

cmbyrom Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2019
    So far, I have heard of no complications orher than what I was told initially.

6. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    well, in any accident, the company's insurance pays out..but then there is usually a civil lawsuit as well, against the driver. that's on your husband to get a lawyer in whatever state this happened in. even if this happened in your home state, it's gonna cost big bucks, to defend him.

it can be a few days to a few short weeks, to get that letter in the mail.

this is what usually happens when the driver is cited at the scene, saying in effect, he IS/WAS guilty of causing the wreck.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. cmbyrom

cmbyrom Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2019
    Why a civil suit when there were no injuries, and the ex-employer's insurance covers the quarterpanel damage to the vehicle he skidded into?

starmac Thanks this.
  8. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I do practice defensive driving, but to a certain extent. Defensive driving when applied to vehicles behind you is tricky because you don’t always know what the vehicle behind you is going to do. Sometimes it’s best not to know if someone is about to hit your truck because knowing it, might cause you to make a move that gets you in an accident and makes you liable. On the other hand, if you didn’t know, and they hit you, you would not be held liable. I’m not saying not to practice defensive driving, but to be careful when using it for vehicles behind you. Last thing you want is to be held liable for trying to prevent an accident that was not your fault in the first place.

A common scenario that I’ve heard in class is you’re driving on a one-way road and a vehicle is driving the wrong way. What do you do? The recommendation is to stay in your lane and hit the brakes. If you attempt to move elsewhere, it may put you in a position where now you’re held liable. By the way, these scenarios work best for big commercial trucks and not four-wheelers.

That sounds like not paying attention to the road ahead of you and not having enough following distance. Seriously, anyone who needs to go off the road or change lanes to avoid an accident ahead of them is likely in the wrong. That’s not supposed to happen if you have your proper following distance (based on speed, weight, weather, etc.) and are paying attention to the road ahead of you.

I’ve addressed this on my previous paragraph, but I will add that in the cases where a vehicle jumps in front of your lane and stops, you will not be held liable. Just make sure you have a dash cam.

This is true. There is a name for it, but I cannot recall it. One of the solutions is to be actively aware of what’s happening ahead of you such as, who’s passing you, where are they going, who are you catching up to, who’s about to get on the freeway, and so on. This way your brain doesn’t go on autopilot.

TokyoJoe Thanks this.
  9. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    no injuries now, whiplash, stiff back, muscles much later on.......some people are too hyped up on adreneline to feel pain at that moment....

good luck, other drivers are debating looking into mirrors or whatever else, and basically hijacked your threrad, i am out, good luck to him

10. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Exactly, it is rare a driver themselves get sued unless there are some severe circumstances.
    he lawyers goes after the money and do not bother with just a driver, besides that , that is what we pay insurance for.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  11. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

As others have mentioned, one solution is to enter a lease program from a mega company. I do not recommend buying a truck at all due to his age. He can lease a truck (preferably a new one). This way if anything were to happen to him health-wise, he can easily return the truck without any debt. Hiring standards should be lower for contractors as opposed to company drivers. Here are some companies he can look into:
    • Prime
    • John Christner Trucking
    • Schneider
    • Landstar (maybe)
    • Mercer (maybe)
    I am starting to think another way he can solve this problem is to return to the same company he was dismissed from and attempt to negotiate a deal. He may be able to convince the owner to allow him to return if they can lower his cpm, assuming that wouldn’t be a big problem for you two. Sometimes big companies want to get rid of drivers with lots of experience because they can easily hire another driver and pay him 10 cents less per mile.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.