285/75r24.5- Why so TOUGH to mount??

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by smctransferllc, Sep 10, 2018.

1. smctransferllc

smctransferllc Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2009
    KC, KS
    Does anyone here have any idea as to why in the world these 285/75r24.5’s are so dang hard to mount onto rims by hand?? I’ve never, ever had a problem throwing 22’s over a rim and plopping them on, but this is my first time dealing with tires of this size, due to the fact that my truck takes 24’s.

It’s like the bead on these is so much thicker or something. I usually end up pulling off the old ones at home and take the new ones to my local tire shop to have mounted, but I’d like to keep doing everything at home.

If anyone has any tips for doing this by hand with spoons, other than buying a big hydraulic tire machine, please comment. Should I look at other sizes for 24” rims? Would love to hear some experience come through. Thanks!

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    We used to change tires with spoons, spatulas etc under the shade tree. Even the old 5 spoke 18 wheeler tires with nuts, bolts and preinstalled rim.

After they get to a certain size we do well just to roll em to a shop so they can pop the darn things on with the hydraulic machine. Save us the aggravation.

4. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    I have 24's Lo Pro and no one has ever had a problem mounting them by hand.

5. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Buy a can of tire mounting lube at truck parts store and get a brush to rub lube on rim and tire?

6. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    I have same size on my truck. I do all my own tire work and these are no different then any other tire.

Lots tire soap for lube.

Having said that, there is certain Chinese tires with very thick beads and sidewalls. Hercules come too mind, these tires can be a bit of a ##### to mount. Michelins of course always are like a hot knife through butter..

Goodysnap and 062 Thank this.
  7. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    Tire soap,lots of it. It'll go.

8. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Turnpike is another brand that can be tough to mount.
    I bought 8 drives cheap a few years back. Those were the hardest tire I’ve seen to get on. We hit them with the cheater,and they would pull back off the bead. Had to shoot them with ether to get them to stay on the bead.

9. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    I don’t do tires, but no tire guy has ever had a problem with my 24.5’s. They swear at my 17.5’s though.

10. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Tires with a short sidewall are pretty stiff by nature. I would suspect the problem you’re having is due to the bead of the tire hanging up on the shoulder of the bead channel in the rim. There isnt a tire bar long enough to pull it over if the bead doesn’t bottom in the channel.

11. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    LP's are always a little tougher due to the shorter sidewall. Nothing to make note though. Add used 10 year old casings and hard rubber and they will fight you for sure, way more than new rubber. Soap and water to dismount and veggie oil to mount. Running spoons.

Always a challenge getting cold recaps to seat the beads, especially if they have been stacked flat and the sidewalls are sucked together.

spsauerland Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.