2nd career. 60 years young Newbie

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by AZSteele, Nov 6, 2019.

1. AZSteele

AZSteele Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2019
    Arizona
    Greetings,
    I raced motocross until I was 18 (Pro sponsorship), not enough $$$ back then (70's).
    I spent the next 35 years operating heavy equipment all over the Country, looked forward to going to work (almost) every day. I've had a CDL since before the Fed's created the CDL program. I let the CDL expire about 5 years ago after I "retired".

So I suck at being retired and at the rate I'm going I'll blow through 20 years of retirement funds in the next couple years building, repairing and running the off road race circuit.

Hotshot trucking is sounding like something I can enjoy and back some $$$. I've been researching for a couple weeks, read 1 book, have another to read. But I figure the best source of real time information and facts are directly from those keeping those seats warm and doing the books.

I'm grateful for all information shared and look forward to learning more.

Planning on starting this adventure after the first of the year. Question, since I do not have any recent & verifiable road experience, should I jump on with an RV hauling or similar offer for 3 to 6 months to bank the recent experience ? Will this also benefit my insurance rates once I go solo ???

I currently own a 2500 Duramax, will upgrade to a 2500 to 5500 Dodge Cummins and buy a new trailer when I'm ready to get my own authority.

Once again thanks for this forum and ability to learn from so many professionals who are willing to give a hand up, even to a 60 year old newbie...

Jim (Steele) Cooney

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  4. Idahojoel

Idahojoel Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Phoenix Arizona
    Empire cat runs a lot of hotshots to the mines I’d check on that also check with Arizona Farm bureau for insurance there is a agent in Gilbert named Scott Mecham they have good intrastate rates

5. AZSteele

AZSteele Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2019
    Arizona
    Thanks guys, much appreciated.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you can get past the DOT physical with the advance warning that your DOT doctor will not only check your prescription history going back years he or she will be entering YOU as a examinee into what amounts to be a federal database designed to weed out problem people in poor health.

You can do whatever you like in life if you get past that DOT exam. Many people at your age have a variety of aliments and do not enjoy it as you did and continue to do so with the possibilities you speak of.

I understand heavy equipment, Ive had a CAT 936 a while (Front end loader) a dozer twice and a crane once (Which really wasnt pretty but the basic objective loading that coil got done.) such wonderful times. Its not work. But playtime to me.

Go for it nothing but encouragement for you. We have actually some people in the 80's rolling Semi trucks here in Arkansas as well as general aviation which is a steeper medical FAA cert more stronger to pass than just a DOT one.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.