2nd Job Drug Testing Question

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by ExOTR, Dec 12, 2018.

1. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Good Evening Everyone!
    I’m an Ex-Driver, but teaching and coaching now. Coaching gig has me running a school bus for games, so I’m already in a random DOT pool for my current employer.
    If I wanted to moonlight hauling gravel on weekends for a local O/O, would I need to sign up for a random consortium as well? Or could I just take a preemployment test for the moonlight gig, and be covered on both jobs being in the random pool for 1?

Trying to figure out if it’s even financially feasible to only drive 3-4 days a month.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I'd think you'd have to be in two different random pools. Otherwise, how would your second employer keep his own records straight?

ExOTR and SteerTire Thank this.
  4. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Employer responsibilities not yours driver.

ExOTR and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  5. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Socal nailed it. Not your responsibility whether it be taking a premployment or be on a random. In fact if they only have an intrastate authority the random pool may not even be required depending on your state.

Either way don’t worry about it.

misterG, ExOTR and Socal Xpress Thank this.
  6. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    What everyone said, just show up and give sample when asked.

The is the most boring drug test thread ever.

buddyd157 and ExOTR Thank this.
  7. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Lol, I tried to make the title accurate so people wouldn’t waste a bag of popcorn by popping it before before opening the thread.
    I’m just trying to crunch numbers so I can figure out the possible increases to the O/O’s overhead, so I can be fair in requesting my % of load pay, and/or if a day a week would be even allow them to offset the cost of me running under them.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  8. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    You running for them even for 5 hrs a week is beneficial, because otherwise, the equipment would be sitting, not generating revenue. The drug consortium thing is employees being added to the "pool". Makes no difference how many. Good luck

ExOTR and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It is good to run a 18 wheeler. They don't do well when they sit. If they sit long enough like one in a field near I-40 gets a tree growing in it. Someone has finally removed the tree and the tractor so who knows. It will take a awful lot of money to get it going again.

10. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

Thank you for thinking about us and our popcorn.

Never good to waste anything. Horrible to waste good popcorn.

Luckily, I hadn't begun popping it yet.

Sleep well, you have no guilt to keep you awake. No corn was popped, no corn was wasted.

Now I gotta go find an excuse to make popcorn from some other thread. Thanks a lot!

Sirscrapntruckalot - Off to fill up a pool with popcorn.

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I think this is what is bothering me about the OP, maybe you get this ... you're working for two different companies, and because of that, you have two different sets of requirements to fulfill, each is separate and can't be combined unless they are owned by the same company.

So this means two different randoms, two different pre-employment drug tests, two different driver's files are to be kept by two different companies.

ExOTR Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.