3 year or 5 year abstract in Alberta

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Fmlfrtho, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Fmlfrtho

Fmlfrtho Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2019
    I want to get a class 1 to become a driver but can only provide a clean 3 year abstract, not a 5 year. The program costs 10,000 so I want to make sure I'm not throwing money away. No accidents or demerits in the past 3 years but I did get a seatbelt violation. 2 years experience driving trucks in agriculture and as shunt driver.

Thanks errybody

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Weekend Warrior

Weekend Warrior Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Sask
    Is there a question in there somewhere?

Phantom Trucker Thanks this.
  4. 03machwon

03machwon Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2013
    The title is the question

5. Fmlfrtho

Fmlfrtho Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2019
    Yeah. So I want to be a driver but many jobs ask for a 5 year abstract, something I am not able to give them. Will I be able to find a job if I can only provide a 3 year abstract. I'm asking this because 10,000 is a lot of money to invest and I want to make sure I will be able to use the license if I do decide to get it. The other information I provided was just me wondering if my experience is worth anything.

6. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    You can get a 5 year abstract from a registry, it will just show the last 3 years.

That being said, none of your shunt or agriculture esp will be valid, unless you are applying for shunt or agriculture. If you get your class 1 from a reputable school, expect to start at a mega carrier like Bison, Challenger or Kiriska. I suggest talking to the place you want to work, that will train new drivers, before you take your class 1.

not4hire Thanks this.
  7. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    I believe when the OP says he is "not able" he means he doesn't want to, not that he doesn't have five years of history.
    If they want a five year history, then you're going to have to provide a five year history.

If I have misunderstood and you only have three years of history then that should be fine, but make sure it is a five year abstract.

MartinFromBC and Fmlfrtho Thank this.
  8. Snoopycda

Snoopycda Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Edmonton Ab.
    Get a five year and don't worry about the seat belt violation. Demerits go away two years after conviction.
    Tickets and CMV violations never leave your abstract, if you had a moving violation or equipment violation nine years ago it will show up on a ten year abstract. Photo radar and parking tickets do not show up on an abstract in Alberta.

MartinFromBC, Fmlfrtho and not4hire Thank this.
  9. Fmlfrtho

Fmlfrtho Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2019
    Well I have an 30km/hr over limit speeding ticket from 2015 which is why I'm wondering if giving a 3 year abstract is alright. Some job postings don't specify whether they want a 5 or 3 year abstract, only that it be "clean".

10. Snoopycda

Snoopycda Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Edmonton Ab.
    2015 is 4 years ago if I do the math correctly. Your 4 demerits are gone. If the hiring manager is that picky, move to the next company. You wouldn't want to drive for them long anyway.
    Mostly they are looking for signs of an accident like "Unsafe left turn" or "Follow too close". Criminal stuff like, "leaving the scene of an accident" or "dangerous driving". The big one is Reinstated at midnight MM/DD/YYYY. Tell tale that you have had a suspension for one reason or another. (Impaired?)

11. NoLuckCanuck

NoLuckCanuck Bobtail Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    Just be honest, if you show everything uyp front most places will show leniency, try and hide something and they find it.....buh bye

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.