3000 watt inverter question, upgrade to True Sine Wave?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by femalecdla, Nov 10, 2021.

1. femalecdla

femalecdla Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Rather than hijack the previous thread, allow me to ask my question here. Serious replies only please.

I currently have a Modified sine wave M2000 Tundra installed by FreightLiner when I purchased my truck.

I’m really getting sick (Health wise) from constantly eating fast food every day. I live in my truck while I grow my business. So, I’m in my truck 356 days of the year unless I go into a Hotel.

I currently run a cheap Walmart hot plate and a Galanz Air Fry Microwave. I have a lot of electronics in my truck like Satellite TV, a freezer to store frozen food, and a lot of other stuff like 24 hour security system that constantly records and 4 sides of my truck and trailer. I also have other electronics that I don’t want to make known publicly due to security reasons. This is due to some of the loads that I run are high security loads that I will not address publicly.

Anyways, I want to upgrade my Tundra inverter to a True sine wave 3000 watt Xantrex. I want to do this because of my health and I want my NuWave PIC Flex induction cooktop to work. Currently when I plug my cooktop up it comes on but does not heat. It’s not even registering on my remote that shows the volts and watts being used. When I turn my Air Fry Microwave on, it shows the volts drop and the watts go to about 1700 watts. I have to unplug my freezer because it goes crazy. My cheap Walmart hot plate acts crazy too. It will come on buts gets really hot then cools and repeats. This cause’s my food to burn. Will upgrading my inverter to the Xantrex solve this problem?

P.S. I do have an APU. It’s not a generator APU. But my APU does charge the batteries and provides AC along with heat from my bunk heater.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. harold6091

harold6091 Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2018
    you should just get a predator 3500 or similar of a gas generator and run a bunch of stuff. that way you dont have to keep your truck on.

4. femalecdla

femalecdla Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2018
    I have an APU, truck doesn’t idle. I don’t have to idle when I use my Air Fry Microwave and it’s about 1200 watts when I use the convection oven in it. But I cannot use my induction cooktop. I’m thinking the volts aren’t high enough or the amps are not high enough. I was hoping someone has a 3000 watt inverter could point me in the right direction. I also think the modified inverter has it’s limitations. I’ve read that modified inverter’s aren’t good for certain appliances and will not work with sensitive appliances.

5. harold6091

harold6091 Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2018
    yeah my 3000 wts powersrive dont work with my wifes hair iron. have you check the puresine wave one? also we drove a brand new cascadia that had all the system setup from factory inverter and everything and on that one the hair iron worked with no issues. maybe find out which kind of inverter they are using

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Get the Xantrex, get it installed with the RIGHT wiring and get a bank of new batteries.

The induction hot plate needs pure sine wave inverter to last.

use each application separately.

7. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    always build your system on amps x volts = watts. so if something is 8amps then you x's it by 117 volts to get the total watts it uses. so that would be 936 watts. take everything you want to use and build your battery, inverter size by this

8. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    You can get the Xantrex or a power conditioner. Either will work. Also, get yourself a slow cooker. Roasts, whole chickens, try turkey legs, little oil and spices wrapped in tinfoil, 4 hrs on low. They fall apart. I do what is sort of a stir fry in mine, strap it down while your moving, veggies and protein all in one, while your moving.

9. Qbf594

Qbf594 Road Train Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Southern Canadian annex, NY
    I was given an induction cooker hob once when I lived off grid. It lasted about 3 days iirc. Some electronics don't play well with some types of electric supply. My front load washer died after a year on the generator. The more sophisticated the circuits the higher the chance its going to have issues IMO
    Since I never got to use the induction cooker I don't see why it's a deal breaker. I have an electric skillet that's worked off every inverter I've had. Of course it's Kitchen Craft 20 years old...made in Wisconsin. Worth what they cost, which is much... instapot lasted 1 year but maybe from road abuse (vibration and potholes) or maybe the electric supply, don't know. Guess I'm suggesting trying a different approach to cooking might be less trouble.

10. Qbf594

Qbf594 Road Train Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Southern Canadian annex, NY
    Also re: the Xantrax inverter...my boss put one in this truck 1 month ago. I'm taking it out and putting in my harbor freight 2000w lol. This fancy one is wired to the bunk dashboard and reads the voltage etc....but it's quirky and turns off immediately when I press the minute buttons on the 700w cheapo microwave. Then resets itself and works 1 time. Every. Single. Time. It's too sensitive for crap appliance surge or something. Xantrax was part of my solar house system and they were quality, but not cheap. I could probably replace my harbor freight inverter 5 times for what the boss spent on it.

11. goga

goga Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Earth..
    What is the problem with having flat top camping single burner butane stove instead of putting strain and running batteries down on anything electric cookwise?

And yes, I have 5k watt inverter running my fridge, laptop and/or few power tools when I need them with truck idling though.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.