($300k) To lease or not to lease? that is the question!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by g&cinvestments, Feb 7, 2014.

1. g&cinvestments

g&cinvestments Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2014
    miami, fl
    Hi all, kind of a too many times bombarded question, but come on, honestly this is a dilemma that drills the heads of many rookies in the business (as I am). With a $300K investment ahead I seriously need your advice to make sure it doesn’t go down the drain. If you were to invest that amount in the trucking industry as Owner, what would you do?

Cheers!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ernesto

ernesto Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2013
    I've never met anyone who's done well with those lease purchase scams

4. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    I don't think that is what he is asking, sounds to me like he wants to buy some trucks, hire drivers, and lease the trucks onto another company.

5. ernesto

ernesto Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2013
    I think I could make money with a lease purchase first I would lease with a company that has brand new
    Trucks then I would part the truck out and report stolen hahaha

whoopNride and crb Thank this.
  6. g&cinvestments

Feb 6, 2014
    miami, fl
    Thanks Oscar, that's exactly what I asked! Any thoughts? We'll buy the trucks on cash, not leased. Hence looking where the better profitability is!

7. ernesto

ernesto Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2013
    You could run snow from Nogales,AZ to phoenix ,AZ pays 25 G's a load you'll have those trucks paid off in a year

8. Prom Night Dumpster Baby

Prom Night Dumpster Baby Medium Load Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Bug Tussle, TN
    Buy a CNC lathe and invent some magic tube that "saves fuel". Patent office doesn't require proof, just a claim. Drivers will be convinced (confused) when you start talking about "aligning molecules" or "exciting the petrolific paraffinoids" in diesel. Just need a salesman who can sell ice to Eskimos and you'll be rich!

rockyroad74, mrbmg, mc8541ss and 4 others Thank this.
  9. rockyroad74

rockyroad74 Heavy Load Member

Miami is a hard location to base a trucking company.

There are many small fleets that start with leasing to a carrier though. I wouldn't start too big until I knew which carrier would work best for me. Then there is the issue of how hard is it to get new drivers approved with the carrier and where they need to go for orientation. Some carriers do this by video conference and some on site at their headquarters.

What about trailers? Got your own or lease from carrier or lease purchase through carrier?

What type of freight to haul? What regions? Team or solo? Teams give you a higher return on equipment, if you can keep them happy.

You will also need to be prepared for relocating your truck/trailer when you have to fire a bad driver, clean it up, and repair the neglected items a bad driver will not want to waste his time waiting to have repaired.

Just a few things to think about.

10. rockyroad74

rockyroad74 Heavy Load Member

If I had $300K and I had to invest in trucking, I would look into a team specialized niche. Jet engines, PSS(Protective Satellite Service), or expedited.

freightliner438 and Bandaid Thank this.
  11. g&cinvestments

Feb 6, 2014
    miami, fl
    Thanks rockyroad74! See answer above, bear in mind the initial question. You have $300K to invents in this industry, where would you go?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.