3406B 7FB fuel issue

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by westcoastjiveturkey, Jan 17, 2021.

1. westcoastjiveturkey

westcoastjiveturkey Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2021
    I just bought an 85 359 Pete to do a complete restoration. I know very little about the old Mechanical Cats. I started driving with the E models.

Anyhow, I’ve been fixing small issues and took it for a ride. As soon as I pulled into the driveway, it sputtered and died. I have 100 gallons in the tanks so I didn’t run out of fuel. I changed both fuel filters. The secondary wasn’t too bad but the fuel looked orange that was left in the filter. The primary was a mess. It was black and pretty much plugged up with what I’m assuming to be is rubber from the fuel lines. I felt it and it had a gritty, oil feel.

I changed filters and filled both with fuel. It has the prime pump in top of the secondary. Do I still need to prime it by hand since I filled the filters? It will turn over but won’t start. Obviously, it’s not getting fuel.

I will be draining the tanks and cleaning out the garbage. It’s getting new plastic fuel lines. I’m thinking of putting an AirDog on it and an electric prime pump. The engine was overhauled 250k ago but has sat in a garage for the last 7 years. I’m probably going to pull it and rebuild it.

Any tips or suggestions?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Once you get rid of all that bad fuel and replace fuel lines, clean the inside of tanks and put good clean fuel in it, then you will get a work out pumping your prime pump till it is hard to push any more then start it up and you may have to pump some more then start it back up and see how good it runs with the good fuel ?

4. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    Air Dog and electric fuel pump. Redundant.

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Honestly if oil pressure is good, blowby is ok, oil samples are fine and it pulls good I wouldn't even waste a penny on an overhaul. Sitting for 7 years probably didn't hurt a thing.

Dino soar, little cat 500 and bigguns Thank this.
  6. Inderjit

Inderjit Medium Load Member

Sep 17, 2017
    I agree^
    Rebuild the transfer pump and the air fuel ratio control and maybe a new primer pump.
    And see how it runs.

7. AKDoug

AKDoug Medium Load Member

Mar 21, 2018
    My 3406B is an absolute pig to get re-lit if you run it out of fuel. Takes a bunch of pumps on the primer to get things going and there's times we've had to crack injector lines to get the air out. Once I replaced the faulty fuel gauge my guys quit running it out of fuel. (read 1/4 when it was empty).

Roger McG and 650cat425 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.