3406b cat question?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by flc120, Jul 11, 2012.

1. flc120

flc120 Heavy Load Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Miami,FL (yeah i know :( )
    i have a 87' 3406b model cat she needs repair to engine as it sounds it might have a bad wrist pin type of noise coming from engine.

heres my question when you pull fuel from each cylinder by opening fuel line coming from out of the injection pump the number 3 cylinder from the front noticably stops making the noise when fuel is taken from it. my question is i have no wreckers in my area and i have to drive truck to nearest shop which is 50 miles from me, would i be able to disconnect line from head and from injection pump and just CAP off head and pump to not supply fuel to that specific cylinder? cylinder will not be in compression just be physically pumping in stroke but not under stress can i just cap both sides off to drive truck on 5 cylinders to drive it safely to shop?

any help with this idea would help im in the middle of the boonies with no other choice but to drive it to shop.

i have some old diesel injection tubes that i could cut and use just for the ends as caps to cap off head and pump. The noise almost completly goes away when fuel is eliminated from that cylinder.

what would be the consequesnces of running it like this till shop?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Gonna vibrate like heck.

I wouldn't do what you plan just based on a sound. Could be cracked piston.

Blowby? fuel in oil?

4. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    Sounds like you scored #3 cylinder. Capping off the injection pump would not be wise, you would have very high hydraulic pressure with no where to go and damage may result.

5. SmokinCAT

SmokinCAT Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Hillsboro, OH./ Adrian, MI
    Before getting too carried away, does this engine smoke at all? Just wondering if it might not just be the nozzle.

6. lonelyswmtrucker

lonelyswmtrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 14, 2011
    down the bayou
    better call CAT on that, the old mechanical engines like u got were AWESOME but not as what u call bulletproof like the ones of today.

7. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    Sounds like the injector is working by eliminating the noise when cancelled. If the hole is scored it will sound like CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK when the cylinder is fueled and quiet with no fuel.

8. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    I can not belive you still have a 3406b how in the heck do you make any money the one I had was good but it liked gas!!!!!!!!!(disel)

9. SmokinCAT

Oct 20, 2010
    I was thinking that the spring might possibly be broken in the nozzle not allowing fuel to atomize, and cracking the line pulls the fuel from the cylinder.

10. SmokinCAT

Oct 20, 2010
    We see 6 sometimes a little better out of ours, I don't think that is much to complain about.

1958Pete Thanks this.
  11. flc120

flc120 Heavy Load Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Miami,FL (yeah i know :( )
    well the noise im getting is similiar to a botoom end noise rod knock on a gas car,very steady and consistent gets a lil quieter when you up acceleration past 1k rpms.

the noise is defently coming from the middle of the engine upwards towards the head, doesnt sould like a diesel rodknock but a bad wrist pin. i took off the covers but didnt notice any unusual movements or anything loose while engine was running. also if you put your hand on the head to right below it you can feel it more then any other part on the engine.

if you rev motor up to say 1400 rpm at idle oil pressure shoots right up and no noticable shakes or shimmys and sounds just fine.

what i do notice is that theres alot of unburnt diesel fuel you can smell it bigtime and shes burning diesel and smoking it as well just from idling and sitting.

oil level is fine and no smell or fuel in it either.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.