35 years old, thinking of becoming a trucker.

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by AMJR, Jun 17, 2016.

1. AMJR

AMJR Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2016
    Hello,
    I've recently been thinking a great deal about LHT in Canada as I'm Canadian. There was and remains one small obstacle. I have a 2-year old Rat Terrier to consider. I'd almost have to bring her along. She loves my parents and vice versa but they both have cancer so taking care of her could be a stretch.
    Could anyone offer any blunt, direct truisms about LHT or simply trucking in general for a novice?
    I have a clean DL, 20/20 vision and no criminal record.
    I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks again!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Get your licence, you may have to put up with crap for the first year, but get some experience, and look for a good carrier.

AMJR Thanks this.
  4. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    I'm guessing LHT means long haul trucking. That means very little time at home. I'm sorry to hear your parents both have cancer. If taking care of a small dog would be an issue I assume their condition is serious. Are you sure you want to jump into this while your parents are dealing with cancer? Trucking will always be there but you can never get back the missed time.

As for taking a pet on the road many do it. It might limit your options as some companies don't allow them but many do.

Mortarmaggot, AMJR and nickstick Thank this.
  5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Where are you located in Canada? I would advise if you get into this seek out local work only because there are going to be some hard times ahead and you don't want to be 2000 miles away and receive a phone call while you're in a truck and it's the last time you talk to your parent. If you have the financial means, spend the time with them. You will never regret spending that time instead of driving a dam truck. Nobody gets to the end and says gee whiz I wish I had spent more time at work.

magoo68, AMJR, raydregs and 1 other person Thank this.
  6. casc1

casc1 Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2011
    toronto
    Think again

AMJR Thanks this.
  7. raydregs

raydregs Bobtail Member

May 22, 2016
    i second that notion

AMJR Thanks this.
  8. pcfreak

pcfreak Heavy Load Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    I'd find a better job.

BigHossVolvo, AMJR and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  9. 2Girls_1Truck

2Girls_1Truck Medium Load Member

May 18, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Plenty of companies allow pets in their trucks, so as long as your dog can adjust to the change that shouldn't be a barrier.

Depending on the type of job you start with, home time will vary. My company has an excellent "in case of emergency" policy (that I have thankfully never had to use) but if I got one of those calls out on the road, it's still taking me 2 days to get from Houston to Halifax (which I run basically every week). Not all airlines are equally accepting of pets (2 cats in truck) and I obviously couldn't leave them in the truck if I had to get home in say, 6 hours.

I don't know why so many guys talk such a bad game about trucking, if you think there's better work out there, then go find it. Personally, I think $75,000/year is about as good as it gets in the Maritimes for an unskilled job with no professional designation, education or red seal required.

10. truckyx

truckyx Bobtail Member

Jun 12, 2016
    $75k my ###.

pcfreak Thanks this.
  11. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    Maybe $75K if you peddle your *** . lol

Macneil and pcfreak Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.