389 Prewired for inverter?

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Mountain_Dweller, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Mountain_Dweller

Mountain_Dweller Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2014
    Good afternoon,

I am getting ready to install a power inverter in a 2015 Pete 389 with the 58" flat sleeper, and just noticed a plug and heavy cable under the driver side front corner of the sleeper leading up behind the closet corner presumably to the control panel. Is this prewiring for an inverter?

The label reads J361 SLPR POWER SUPPLY - (MFG1)

Thanks!

-Nate

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    No, that's just power for the sleeper. You will need to run cables directly to the batteries.

magoo68 and Mountain_Dweller Thank this.
  4. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    That is the main power/ground to the sleeper load center.

We usually use these style fittings to go through the floor:
    https://www.amazon.com/Arlington-LPCG50-10-Electrical-Connector-10-Pack/dp/B00303FYKA

They'll seal up and hold the wires nice and tight. Most places that sell electrical supplies have them is several sizes. Just make sure you use the correct size wire and put a fuse or breaker in the battery box. Also route and secure them well to keep them from rubbing.

I'm going to throw this out there, just in case, follow the directions and run power and ground directly to the batteries. A year or so ago, I fixed a real mess when someone decided to ground his inverter to the sleeper floor. It overloaded and melted the factory ground and he's lucky the truck didn't burn to the ground. Inverters can draw some serious amperage.

Mountain_Dweller Thanks this.
  5. Mountain_Dweller

Mountain_Dweller Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2014
    Thanks for the replies! I am putting in a 1000w pure sine inverter to run a 600w microwave, what size fuse do you think should go at the battery?

Best,

Nathan

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.