40 on a 38 and beyond 65 - Advice on overhang laws?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Miroh, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Miroh

Miroh Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Good morning everyone. I have a question of load length. Dispatch initially tried to get me under a 40 foot container but all I have is a 38 foot trailer. I went with a 38 foot trailer to stay under the 65 foot law that most states have. She mentioned a 3 foot overhang allowance. Does that allowance mean for any cargo no matter the length of the vehicle or does it have to stay within the parameters stated by state laws ie 65 feet. I'm about 1 foot 8 inches or so under the 65 feet mark. Would that have been an acceptable load? We decided against it by the way.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    What type of truck are you using?

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ive always understood it to be 3 feet or less.

Ive always carried over size banner with marker lights for that purpose just to be on the safe side. Anything over three foot is a big problem. Not something I am familiar with to be honest.

Miroh Thanks this.
  5. Miroh

Miroh Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2018
    A ram 3500 long bed. I know as chassis or flatbed, which I am not, would then categorize it as a tractor, thus increasing the length allowance.

I'm assuming you were asking for that reason, lol. :)

6. Espressolane

Nov 21, 2009
    That’s true, pulling the bed off will change you vehicle type to tractor. That’s where I was headed.

Why not make the change?

Miroh Thanks this.
  7. Miroh

Miroh Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Not wishing to spend any more than I have to right now.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  8. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Under FMCSA rules, overhang is not allowed with loaded containers, unless there is a structure as noted.

§393.126 What are the rules for securing intermodal containers?

(c)
    Securement of loaded intermodal containers transported on vehicles other than container chassis vehicle(s). (1) All lower corners of the intermodal container must rest upon the vehicle, or the corners must be supported by a structure capable of bearing the weight of the container and that support structure must be independently secured to the motor vehicle.

§393.126 What are the rules for securing intermodal containers?

Empty, you're fine.

(d) Securement of empty intermodal containers transported on vehicles other than container chassis vehicle(s). Empty intermodal containers transported on vehicles other than container chassis vehicles do not have to have all lower corners of the intermodal container resting upon the vehicle, or have all lower corners supported by a structure capable of bearing the weight of the empty container, provided:

(1) The empty intermodal container is balanced and positioned on the vehicle in a manner such that the container is stable before the addition of tiedowns or other securement equipment; and,

(2) The amount of overhang for the empty container on the trailer does not exceed five feet on either the front or rear of the trailer;

(3) The empty intermodal container must not interfere with the vehicle's maneuverability; and,

(4) The empty intermodal container is secured to prevent lateral, longitudinal, or vertical shifting.​

6wheeler Thanks this.
  9. Miroh

Miroh Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Thanks for the input. But, with the 65 foot law for my type of combination vehicle, would a payload causing the entire length of the vehicle to be over 65 feet be considered a violation?

10. Espressolane

Nov 21, 2009
    In short, yes.

Miroh Thanks this.
  11. Miroh

Miroh Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Thank you!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.